Lyn J. Mangiameli

In terms of speed of grinding, it really depends on how much you are
trying to remove. If all you are doing is dressing the bevel to renew an
edge, it really doesn't make much difference whether the speed is 1100,
1800 or 3600 (approximately). In these cases you are removing so little
metal it just isn't going to make any difference, except that the slower
speeds allow for a little more error if you don't have smooth movements.

When generating a new profile/geometry, of course faster is better
because a (relatively) large amount of material is being removed. I have
high speed six, low speed 8 and very low speed Tormek. If a lot of metal
needs to be removed on a tool or for other grinding tasks, I usually
prefer the high speed six, at least to get started.

As for HSS not being immune to overheating, take a look at the quotes
from Latrobe steel (a major supplier)in my article on principles of
sharpening that you can get a pdf of he

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

Lyn

Bruce Ferguson wrote:
I don't understand how a useing a faster grinder will make grinding time any
faster? Seems to me ginding time speed would depend on how fast you can
move the gouge from one side to the other and if you can do it correctly in
one shot or have to do it several times. Same thing with heat the longer
you have to leave the tool on the stone the hotter it will get.

Bruce

"billh" wrote in message

No, Oneway recommends a 3450 RPM grinder. They had a reason for it but I
can't remember it. However, they quite properly recommend that the correct
stone always be properly dressed which allows grinding to be done with

less

heat. Also professional turners want sharpening to be done quickly since
time is money. I have a 1725 rpm grinder and will replace it with a

regular

3450 if it ever fails. The slower speed is good when learning but after

that

I don't think it is a benefit.
My machinist friends don't support the "you can't hurt HSS by overheating"
philosophy. They agree it is much less prone to damage but recommend you
learn to grind without bluing.
Billh