Bruce Ferguson

I don't understand how a useing a faster grinder will make grinding time any
faster? Seems to me ginding time speed would depend on how fast you can
move the gouge from one side to the other and if you can do it correctly in
one shot or have to do it several times. Same thing with heat the longer
you have to leave the tool on the stone the hotter it will get.

Bruce

"billh" wrote in message
No, Oneway recommends a 3450 RPM grinder. They had a reason for it but I
can't remember it. However, they quite properly recommend that the correct
stone always be properly dressed which allows grinding to be done with

less
heat. Also professional turners want sharpening to be done quickly since
time is money. I have a 1725 rpm grinder and will replace it with a

regular
3450 if it ever fails. The slower speed is good when learning but after

that
I don't think it is a benefit.
My machinist friends don't support the "you can't hurt HSS by overheating"
philosophy. They agree it is much less prone to damage but recommend you
learn to grind without bluing.
Billh

"Dan Kozar" wrote in message
In article ,
"Walker" wrote:

I recently purchased the Wolverine grinding jig to go with my existing
grinder that runs at 3450. From all the reading I've done in this

group,
it
is recommended to sharpen tools on a slow speed (1750) grinder. Seems
its
easy to get a tool too hot and ruin the tempering if sharpened at 3450.
At
times, I can see the edge of my tools discolor a little. Couple of
questions:

1) The documentation that came from Oneway with the jig recommended

using
high speed grinder over a low speed grinder. Can someone give me some
thoughts on this. Why would they recommend slow speed? Oneway
contradicts
what most folks in here recommend.

When they say slow speed, I think that they are referring to really slow
speed grinders, such as Tormek

2) Am I pressing to hard on the wheel with the tool. I certain don't
mean
to be....I'm trying to have a light touch but sometimes I do get some
discoloration on the edges. I keep a cup of water next to the grinder

frequently dip the tool in to cool the metal?

Don't quench HSS

3) Should I go ahead and buy a slow speed grinder? I surely don't

want
ruin any of my new expensive Sorby tools!!!

This jig sure beats trying to free hand!!!!

Thanks,
Walker

--
Dan Kozar