Doug Miller

In article , Jay Pique wrote:
I'd love to source all of my precision measuring devices from
Starrett, but at double and triple the price of almost identical tools

I think the key word there is "almost". Compare -- I'm choosing my words
carefully here -- the guaranteed accuracy of the Starrett tools with the
claimed accuracy of the imported competition.

from overseas I'm having a tough time mustering up enough patriotism
to justify the additional cash outlay.

They *are* pricy, I'll grant you that. But we're back to the old maxim,
discussed here many times: buy the best, cry once; buy cheap, cry every time
you use it.

I'll be honest, I *trust* Starrett, and I'd like to use their products
where I can in the shop - not only for the whole "buy American" thing,
but for the peace of mind that comes from knowing that I can eliminate
measuring errors from the list of causes of my myriad ****ups. Anyone
have any experience negotiating directly with Starrett to get more
competitive pricing? Just wondering...

AFAIK, Starrett does not sell direct. But there's a wide range of prices for
the same tool, depending on the retailer. Check Google, Froogle, and eBay.
Auctions and garage sales may be your friends, too -- a long time ago, digging
through a carton of miscellaneous stuff at an auction, I found at the bottom
of it a wooden box containing a Browne & Sharp micrometer. Put that sucker
right back where I found it, too, at the bottom under everything. Paid a buck
and a half for the carton. :-)

--
Regards,