troubleinstore

"N. Thornton" wrote in message om...
Mike Clarke wrote in message ...
In article , N.
Thornton wrote:

I remember some seriously lethal versions of those as a child in the
1950's. The plugs had round covers with a central flex outlet and a
moulded thread fixing them to the base. You could easily unscrew the
tops from the plugs without unplugging them :-(

ah, Clix plugs. The wires were pushed under the folded pins, and
screwing the top on pressed the pins onto the wires. no cordgrip. I
think theyre famous for worrying people.

You ain't wrong there about worrying people. When I was about 14, I plugged one in once that was connected to our table
lamp ontop of the small cupboard next to the chimney breat and had to go to hospital suffering from severe burns to my
hand. Letheal things. Dad soon got rid of those
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

View my items on eBay:-
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....&since=-1&rd=1

I've also come across 2 peculiar type of plugs in the distant past,
probably also 1950's or very early 1960's era:

* One type were 13A with round pins. They were about the same size
as 5A ones but the earth pin had a groove running along it's
length (presumably so the socket could be keyed to prevent a 5A
plug being used) and the cartridge fuse was threaded at one end
and screwed into the plug to form the live pin. I think they
were a proprietary Reyrole design.

hospital plug?

* There were some really weird plugs with a central round earth
pin and flat power pins to either side of it. They came in 2 (or
more ?) different sizes and ratings. The larger ones had a
socket for a lower rating built into the cover so you could
piggy back a smaller plug off them. ISTR the plugs had cartridge
fuses and were designed in such a way that the lower rated ones
could also be inserted into higher rated sockets.

not heard of those before.

NT