Dan Kozar

In article ,
"Walker" wrote:

I recently purchased the Wolverine grinding jig to go with my existing
grinder that runs at 3450. From all the reading I've done in this group, it
is recommended to sharpen tools on a slow speed (1750) grinder. Seems its
easy to get a tool too hot and ruin the tempering if sharpened at 3450. At
times, I can see the edge of my tools discolor a little. Couple of
questions:

1) The documentation that came from Oneway with the jig recommended using a
high speed grinder over a low speed grinder. Can someone give me some
thoughts on this. Why would they recommend slow speed? Oneway contradicts
what most folks in here recommend.

When they say slow speed, I think that they are referring to really slow
speed grinders, such as Tormek

2) Am I pressing to hard on the wheel with the tool. I certain don't mean
to be....I'm trying to have a light touch but sometimes I do get some
discoloration on the edges. I keep a cup of water next to the grinder to
frequently dip the tool in to cool the metal?

Don't quench HSS

3) Should I go ahead and buy a slow speed grinder? I surely don't want to
ruin any of my new expensive Sorby tools!!!

This jig sure beats trying to free hand!!!!

Thanks,
Walker

--
Dan Kozar