Don Foreman

Can't help much without knowing some parameters like:

range of speeds
range of power in watts or HP
required (or hoped-for) accuracy
available skills (machining, welding, building electronics, etc)
budget -- time and $

Speed and power range would narrow down the choices of the several
ways one could make a dyno. Hoped-for accuracy, available skills and
budget could save a lot of time if expectations for given resources
are clearly not consistent.

Another poster suggests a DCPM motor and load resistor. If just a
"go-nogo" test is sought, that would be a good solution with the
addition of an inexpensive voltmeter.

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:14:07 -0700, Jon Anderson
wrote:

I have a customer that among other things, rewinds obsolete air coil
electric motors. He has asked me about building a dyno so he can test
motors to something other than 'yep, it turns' under power.

Looking through SIC I only find one article on building a dyno. It looks
to be a fair bit of work. As he called me while on the road today and
the connection was bad, we couldn't really get into details. I am unsure
what HP and torque the motors develop, though it's not a lot. I also
don't know what rpm range he wants to test.
Did a bit of Googling and didn't find a whole lot on small model engine
sized dyno building.

Anyone know about web resources for different approaches?

Thanks,

Jon Anderson