John Ings

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:14:07 -0700, Jon Anderson
wrote:

I have a customer that among other things, rewinds obsolete air coil
electric motors. He has asked me about building a dyno so he can test
motors to something other than 'yep, it turns' under power.

But you don't necessarily need to know what the precise horsepower
output is? Provided that it is 'as good as the other ones we fixed'?

I don't know about the kind of motor you are working with, but many
electric motors when turned work as generators. Could you make up a
load bank of band iron strips and test the rewound motors by coupling
them to a generator (motor) whose output can be measured as this many
watts therefor that much horsepower?