MC

May can contact a nusery supply center (wholesale) and get what they refer
to as ground cover for that. Better for underlayment where using rock and
doing any paving over the landscape fabric. Not sure if any cheaper but I
nver had to buy extra as always had on site at my nursery.

"M.Paul" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice and words of experience. I will definately be using

power plate compactor to compact the base rock (I think what I'm using is
called 3/4-minus). I am not so much concerned about weeds growing through
the base rock layer - I don't think they will get through it - but I am
concerned about the possibility of the clay soil and base rock layer
gradually mixing together (causing movement) over the years. But
considering that the landscape fabric would be approx 10% of the total

cost
of the job and the paver stone distributor telling me that it's a waste of
time and money, I'm still not sure what I will do. With only two weeks
before the base rock arrives, I need to make up my mind soon. Also,

thanks
for the advice on fine sand vs mason's sand. I don't want any staining as
I'd like to get everything sealed-up (without stains) before the rains

come.
Thanks again,
M.Paul

"M.Paul" wrote in message
I am in the excavation stage of a 500 sf. paver stone patio project. I

have
already purchased the necessary materials: pavers, base rock, concrete

sand,
snap edge etc, but I have one question... Should I use landscape fabric
under the base rock? Every book and web site concerning paver stone
installation that I've seen recommends using it. The paver manufacturer
(CalStone) doesn't mention it in their instructions and the distributor

(who
appears to be quite knowledgeable on the subject) says it's not
recommended - they don't even carry the stuff.

For what it's worth, the patio will not be near the house and the area

is
excavated 8 inches under which the soil is hard as rock. There will be

5"
of compacted base rock, 1" of concrete sand, and when the patio is

complete
the pavers and joints will be sealed. Also, the ground does not freeze
here.

I've had paver patios with landscape fabric under the base material

before
but still had weeds growing through the paver joints. I am told that
sealing everything from the top will prevent the weeds. I'm interested

in
hearing about experiences from those that have skipped the landscape

fabric
step.

Thanks,
M.Paul