Doug Miller

In article , Ridley Scoot wrote:
Ever since I was old enough to care what was on a warning label (grade
school?), this one [flammable/inflammable -- dm] has perplexed me.

I could only blame the obtuseness of the "English" language for this
inconsistency.

There is no inconsistency, only confusion. Read my earlier posts, or Robert
Bonomi's, in this thread. The "in" in "inflammable" is not a prefix meaning
"not", it's part of the root word, which is "inflame".

--
Regards,