Vicki Szaszvari

TURTLE wrote:
"Vicki Szaszvari" wrote in message

TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle.

2 things here.

first it is not possible to correctly trouble shoot a system over the

internet.

Second I live in a State Louisiana who has the right to work laws and all

you

need is a epa card and a 1962 pinto station wagon and your a HVAC/R

professional

which can bid on $50,000.00 job right along side me. I've done this for 40
something years and been dealing with hacks all these years. Now these days

they

have to put up a $300K Contractor liability insurance policy to cover if

they

don't proform and that is about it. Contractor liability insurance compamys

do a

little policing of their own by not selling a policy to any person that does

not

have 5 years work experience in the field and atleast 2 years working on

their

own as a business owner. Yes you have to get out of state insurance to start

or

be let sub out under a regular hvac company like myself. Yes i have started

bunch of companys and is starting another one right now.

So you are being restricted not only by government but industry does not

want

the customer screwed and screwing up the jobs theirself. They know 90% of

all

home owners don't have any skill in the hvac or refrigeration field and

wants

them to call someone that will not screw it up for the next home owner to

buy

his screw up's. About 20% of my business comes from home owners fixing what
should have been done differently years ago. Also another 30% of my business
comes from hacks screwing up jobs and I come finish them. Most home owners

will

not sue the hack for a small $200.00 screw up and call me and say " Hey

Turtle

come fix this damn thing " .

Your story is not new and we hear it all the time when we are fixing screw

up

mostly.

TURTLE

Wow, what a difference. I am in a right to work state, but we
have a Registrar of Contractors and there is a law against
non-contractors doing jobs in excess of $750. Under $750, you can do it
as a "handyman." Yes, I work with a number of folks who do side jobs
and installs that are way in excess of that.

Technically, and I know it has happened, if you are not a
contractor and the customer has you do a job that exceeds that total,
they can refuse to pay and file a complaint with the Registrar of
Contractors, and you are screwed. No, I have not felt compelled to drop
a dime on anyone yet, though I've been tempted.

This is Turtle.

Outside city limits all bets are off and only in citys will you see the rules
come into effect. Outside city limits you don't need licences, insurance, or
Permitts but you can't do any commercial work at all. Commercial means any open
to the public businesses or any public owned buildings. So Only residentiual
only. The Only thing you have to have outside the city limits is a E.P.A. card.
If you don't have a E.P.A. card --- they don't have to pay you when you go to
collect for a hvac job -- Big or little. A bunch of hands get a education
without a E.P.A. card. All the warehouses will not sell to nobody except the
ones with a E.P.A. card for they know they will get hit with a bunch of none
payments and go belly up on the warehouse. Even goodman will want to see a
E.P.A. card before they sell to them. Here a warehouse can go to school just
like the Rookies.

now if your in the city limits of any city the following applies ;

Small Contractors === Min- $300K Contractor Liability insurance.
Small Contractors === Min- Small job $60K or less Electric / HVAC Licences ,
HVAC Operator City permitt / licences, E.P.A. II Card in Pocket , Recovery
Machine on truck, and Have Workman's Comp if you employee more than 5 Employees.
This will get you to do a $60k jobs or less / nothing over $250K worth of
business a year , but nothing over that.

Large Contractor === Min. $2 Mil. Contractor Liability insurance, Have Louisiana
State Commercial Electric Licences [ Adult size Lesstricity Licences ] ,
Workman's Comp on all employees, Read to and apply to Equal opportunity State
Regulations, City of Doing business in City Operator permit, Pay city fee on
jobs over $1K of $3.00 on every $1K of a job and city inspector will inspect it,
E.P.A. Card with Universial on it, Recovery Machine on trucks, Any job over $60K
must have job plain submitted to State Fire Marshal's Office, Have and Submitt
sales tax payments every month not Quarterly, and last of all full fill all
signed contractor and if not you go on probation for one. Second one you get hit
with paying other contractor to finish the job. Third one you get all licences
and operator permitts pulled for one year and you pay other contractor to full
fill your contracts. that means you go belly up.

There is no Company that can do jobs of over $60K in Allen Parish / County
except myself. They do have bigger ones who come in but they are at a
disadvantage by not being located here. The Citys and Parish Offical have a
thing now about wanting to hire companys that Hire and employee Allen Parish
people and not out of Parish or out of state labor. I hire 100% all Allen Parish
employees. I got the Adult Electric licences by Grandfathering in back in 1975
when the state adopted Licenced companys in the different fields. I sub out
Electric work on the HVAC systems if big enough to the smaller electric service
companys and they work under my licences.

TURTLE

The supply houses here ask that you have a contractor's license
before they sell you units, but there are ways around that. They only
require an E.P.A. card for buying refrigerant. At first they wanted one
for units, then decided that you needed to be a contrctor to buy those.

Except at certain hardware stores, where you only need cash to buy
a Goodman.