Jerome

"twfsa" wrote in message
What is the going rate for a journeyman carpenter,( midwest) thats working
for himself, not a big construction company.

I live in a 10 yr old ranch, and want the hip roof of the house extented
over my deck( 16X14). To include gutters, soffit, 2 flood lights on the
support posts( 6X6's).

I figured $1400 lumber and roofing, I figured $450 for sublet ( gutters

and
the electrician) I figured it would take 80 hrs of labor @$30.00 ,and

thats
16 per hr more in my opnion than it should.

My bid so far $6800.00 I figured about $4500.00 tops.

Thanks

Tom

I recently retired as a journeyman carpenter. Earlier this year I was
making $26.53 an hr plus bennies. My pay stub would show what my hourly
rate was with insurances. Mind you this didn't include bennies such as
holiday pay or what they had to pay for worker's compensation. They shown
it cost them $160 something a week for insurances they paid. So tack on $4
or so an hour for bennies. They provided a company vehicle, had a shop, all
the unforeseen overhead which self employed also have. They supplied tools
except for the hand tools. Plus they had to make a profit to stay in
business. I was told for my labor they charged $130.00 per hr.

I know many in the trades, some self employed. They tell me it costs them
they must charge $60 per man hr, and this is for helpers also. This is for
the self employed.

I recently had some estimates for landscaping, I wanted to know how much per
hr. because I would be adding as we go. Such as additional mulch, trees &
shrubs. It is interesting all four companies which quoted T&M was between
$32 & $38 per man hour. These were not your landscapers with degrees for
designing etc., these were your typical lawn care companies.

I believe you will get what you pay for, when it comes to a journeyman. I
couldn't fathom the thought of paying for my vehicle, tools, insurances,
advertising, business related expenses and try to make money on a mere $30
per hr. I don't know if it would be even possible to make any money to put
in your pocket.