The Natural Philosopher

N. Thornton wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...

N. Thornton wrote:

a small percentage of knots shrink at a different rate to the rest of
the wood, resulting in warping.

Sound cobblers to me. Knots that shrink just fall out.

Waroing is simply caused by differential expansion of the wood, and is
almost inevitable with crap like Pine.

that occurs too, but most often pine bends at a knot due to
differential expansion of knot vs the rest of the wood. But bear in
mind only a minority of knots cause warping, most never do.

Unless you carefully select quarter sawn planks (which don't actully
look good grain wise) you wll get warping between summer and winter
humidity levels.

not with pine indoors.

Definitely with ANY wood indoors, pine more than most.

Summer humidity levels in yer average temperate zone house are 70-90%.

Winter is down at 15-25%.

One my pine matchboard I get distinct cupping and about 2mm shrinkage
PER BOARD across the grain in winter: Its all gone by the summer...

Guess why its painted...

The reaosn teh victorians paibnted pine is because its crap. It moves,
it has knots that bleed resin, requiring knottong to be applied,

only needed if youre painting it, and it looks far nicer clear
varnished.

Matter of opinion., Its about the worst wood for appearance I can think of.

Oh, and the knots will still bleed under the varnish. If they don't fall
out.

I knitted and filled all my T & G. So far touch wood (but NOT pine) the
paint surface is stable.

Ther is only ONE reason people use pine, and thats cos its cheap and
grows fast.

and looks absolutely lovely! - as long as you dont stain it.

Looks crap at best, vile if you stain it.

NT