Tim Mitchell

In article , sPoNiX
writes
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:23:08 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Stuart Bell wrote:
I recently moved into a flat that, as well as having 'standard' modern
plug sockets, also has some older ones, with holes for three round pins.
I have no idea whether these are live, and guess that I could use one of
those mains tester plugs in order to check whether they're wired up
correctly, but:

a) Are they potentially usable?

If the wiring is all recent, it's common to use this sort of socket for
table lamps etc switched from a wall switch off the normal lighting
circuit.

b) Are there adapter plugs available to plug in equipment with new-style
plugs ... or replacement plugs to connect to the equipment, perhaps?

You can buy plugs from a wholesaler - even some of the larger sheds. But
these sockets - and the wiring - are of a lower rating than the normal 13
amp type - either 2 or 5 amp.

There was/is a 15amp version available as well.

15 amp is widely used in stage/theatre lighting systems, so is still
available and has been updated to have sleeved pins on the plugs,
shuttered sockets etc.
--
Tim Mitchell