George

In a hot climate, that mulch would be good. First, it sucks up nitrogen,
holding back the foliage on the tomato, and of course, it keeps moisture
available to shallow roots.

Those of us who struggle in the north to ripen a single tomato on the vine
avoid it, because it keeps the soil too cool. We also grow the more
commercial determinant types which set fruit all at once, because we don't
have the season.

The peas I didn't rip out are blossoming again, it's so cold and wet!

"Jack Casuso" wrote in message
. net...

By the way, the Summer here in NJ has been hotter than usual -- not more
record days but higher temps per day. Just for the record, Jersey

tomatoes
are the best and this year it has been a bumper crop. Start all of mine
from seed and due mulch with the bountiful supply of sawdust I generate.

Happy woodworking/gardening.