ameijers

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

"ameijers" wrote in message

wrote in message
(snip)
Before doing anything, I thought I'd see if anyone has any other ideas
or suggestions.

Like I said, this is thick glass, and the crack is clean. I just need
to remove the wooden strip and lift the piece a little to glue it,
then stuff putty around it before replacing the strip.

Thanks for all advice

Pretty much nothing will glue glass. The shock loads when door is swung
closed are suprisingly high. If this is just to get through the winter,

use
clear plastic tape on both side of the crack. The clear stuff used with

the
shrink-wrap window kits should work well.

aem sends...

there are plenty of things that will glue glass to glass such that you'd
break the glass before the bond let go, like uv cured resins and glues for
instance.

Oh, I suppose you're correct, but I honestly wasn't thinking about exotics
like that, just stuff Joe Public can easily and cheaply buy. By the time you
buy the fancy glue and the UV light to zap the joint, may as well have
window company replace the pane. OP was looking for a cheap work-around till
budget allowed a proper repair. I stand by the tape suggestion- it will be
as weatherproof as, and probably as invisible as, any cheap glue solution.

aem sends...