anon

That must ahve taken you a while, thank you for your effort and help.
I now have 8 doors, 4 glazed and 4 unglazed in the garage. At this
stage I'm planning to varnish (not water based varnish) the top and
bottom surfaces of the doors prior to hanging. Then varnishing the
rest of the doors after the joiner has hung the doors. Any more tips
from the group?

Thanks JB.

On 1 Sep 2004 15:04:08 -0000, Jerry Built
wrote:

anon wrote:
Jerry Built wrote:
[about choosing doors] Look at the position of the knots,
you don't want ones on one face of the stiles only, as the knot
will tend to cause distortion on drying - the timber will try
to "bend" towards that face. Knots on the edge, or that go
straight through, are OK.

The day has come to buy the doors, can you explain the above a
little more please?

OK. Look at the door, and you will see that the members that
"frame" the panels are made out of (say) 1 1/4" x 4" timbers.
The stiles are the long timbers at the edges - the cross-pieces
are the rails. Now, the stiles are the most important, but the
top and bottom rails are important too, followed by the centre
rail(s). Take the stiles first, and look at where (and how big)
the knots are. If a knot on the wide surface of a stile goes
straight through, more or less straight, it's unlikely to cause
the door to distort. A knot that goes through but has been cut
through on one edge of the stile, and exposed, is probably OK
too - but a similar knot on the wide face of the stile will
cause distortion as the timber dries (which it will). I'll
try some ASCII art, prepare to adjust your font:

___________
/ /|
/ / |
/__________/ |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| O | | - This one goes through & is OK.
| | /|
| |/ |
| C| | - This one is exposed on the thin edge (cut
| | | through & is OK.
| | |
| | |
|##########| | - This is *not* OK. The knot is exposed on all
| | | or part only of the wide face, and will cause
| | | the stile to bend
| | |
| | |
| | |

It's also worth taking note of the position of any knots relative
to the position of door furniture.

J.B.