luggsie

anon wrote in message . ..
Thanks alot, actually we're looking at getting some wickes doors. I
hope they pass the tests below!

On 5 Aug 2004 11:14:11 -0000, Jerry Built
wrote:

anon wrote:
I am considering a stain or combined varnish and stain to
enhance the appearance of the [knotty pine ] doors. I am
looking for a lightish stain, or even a cherry wood type
effect. Any advice or recommendations?

My experience with stains is mixed. Preferred method is to paint the
raw pine with shellac to stop the wood absorbing too much stain then
use a darker stain than usual - like mahogany colour. Very little
stain will actually soak in, giving the nice bland knotty pine look
just like you see in the kitchen showrooms, which will also darken
over time. If the stain is used directly on pine the final result
looks like black pudding IMHO.

luggsie