Charlie Self

Swingman notes:

Taste being one of the last things to go, and wanting to take full advantage
of that fact, it is apparent that if I want to taste a real tomato again,
like the one's we had as kids on the farm, I am going to have to go to
extraordinary measures to do so. Next year I want to plant some old heirloom
seeds, in a flat like we used to do, then transplant to the "earth box", and
see if that doesn't improve things.

I've got a shaker with a combination of salt and pepper in it out in the
shop (Obww), and always keep a couple of tomatoes in the shop fridge ...
keeps your hand steady for those taper jig cuts.

Don't know if it will help, or even if it still exists, but some years ago,
Burpee had some taste-centered old-fashioned seed. You can't really pick up
much in the way of non-long keepers here, either, but we're going to turn under
a quarter acre next year...well, in October...and plant some things we want.
Real corn. Tomatoes. No zucchini. But it has been a long time since we tried.
Got tired of feeding the damned deer.

Charlie Self
"A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken