Andy Dingley

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:09:20 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I don't want it and it's to repair a split in a huge lead trough.

I think they would but the chap who's donig the repair says he has to have
tallow. I don't think he knows what he's talking about.

He may be right.

Tallow isn't a flux. It's a useless flux, and it's not generally used
on leadwork at a temperature hot enough to even think about being
active. Its main purpose is to be an ablative heat barrier / lubricant
on wooden paddles or wiping moleskins, so that your tools don't stick
and burn on the hot lead.

If you're doing a repair on old lead, it's often a horrible job. Old
lead is just a nasty surface to work through - lots of oxides, there
may even be carbonates or chlorides to dig through. Quite possibly
he's planning to use wooden paddles as part of the shaping process,
almost as a wiping of the joint.

--
Smert' spamionam