Roy Smith

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

Got any wood-frame (Obww) farmer's tomato stands in your area? We're just
wrapping up the second coldest summer on record, and I finally, today, the
First of September, found ripe tomatoes at the local stand. Sheesh.

Global warming, eh?

We do have an abundance of farmer's produce markets and stands down here in
Texas, but most of the tomatoes are still of the hybrid variety that are
"engineered" more for shelf life than taste. I've been growing my own for a
while, on the front porch in an "earth box", but the varieties available as
seedlings are the same, basically tasteless, hybrids that you get at the
markets.

So don't buy seedlings. It's easy to start your own indoors from seeds,
and there's lots of good varieties available from some of the
lesser-known seed houses. We get most of ours from
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/. Many of the "heirloom" varieties produce
wrinkled or mis-shapen fruit which don't go over well in commercial
markets, but the taste can't be beat.