The Natural Philosopher

Default Putting a double glazed pane in an old frame

Simon Gardner wrote:

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Double glazing increases the comfort of a house, you can sit (as we do)
close to uncurtained windows on the coldest of days and still be
comfortable.

Actually, one of the things I like about windows is you can sit next to
them if you want to be a bit cooler but everyone else doesn't.

You can sit next to my SG windows wit the same result actually. Being
small in area and hermetically sealed, they are onot that cold.

DG is a bit of a con. Far more heat is lose through uninsulated walls and draughts.

OTOH Jacob's calculations are on heat loss and not including getting rid of
unwanted heat gain. So how much would I save, Jacob, on my summer air/con
power bills if I double glazed (which I won't). Figure on air/con being
'on' for a total of about 5 months a year [June - September plus bits and
pieces in other months.