Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
mooseshoes wrote:

All:

My car needs 4 new tires and I know I can save a bunch of dough if I buy
new tires online and replace them myself, however, I've never done this
before and I'm curious if others have and if so, if they can either:

a) recommend against doing it myself; or
b) tell me that it is a good idea and suggest where I might learn more on
how to do it.

I've done some preliminary research on the subject and I haven't found the
definitive set of instructions yet.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Steve

Have you ever changed a bicycle or motorcycle tire by hand? If you
don't mind hard, frustrating work and busting a few knuckles, it is
possible to remove & mount a car tire using only a set of tire irons
and something to hold the rim, but I can't imagine why anyone would
want to. And you would still need to have the wheels balanced
afterwards, though you could use soemthing like "EQUALS" instead of
conventional wheel weights. For the $10 or whatever a tire dealer
charges for mounting & balancing, it's really not worth doing it
yourself, unless you have access to the same equipment a tire shop
has. I wouldn't be so sure you could get a better price online,
either, especially after shipping & handling is added.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland