David Hearn

Default Adherence to Building Regs... or not?

Lobster wrote:
If I want to build a new house, I understand that it needs to adhere
to all the necessary building / wiring regs etc.

In my own (old) house I know there are plenty of aspects which don't
come up to modern standards (mostly for historical reasons) although
I'm perfectly happy with it in terms of safety and economics etc; I
know that there is no obligation on me to update my house to meet 2003
regs?.

So far so good; where I am unclear is what the rules are in between
the above scenarios. What about if I buy a property - equally old and
not fulfilling current regs - in order to do a refurb and sell on or
let out? Obviously I need to ensure building control approve any
substantive alterations I may make, like sewers, openings in
loadbearing walls etc, but what about other aspects? Eg, I know there
is nowhere near enough roofing insulation; aspects of the wiring are
not done to 2003 standards; and any number of other things. Obviously
a prospective buyer's surveyor may highlight these things in the
future, but apart from that, am I obliged to update everything? Is it
any different because this is an investment property and not my
primary dwelling? Does it depend on the extent of the refurbishment
(eg bit of wallpaper and paint versus major structural alterations)?

Thanks in advance
David

I'm pretty sure you're generally only requried to update things you're
changing. Therefore, if you're re-wriring the house - do it to the current
regs. If you're altering a single circuit, that circuit should be to regs
(though others may not be).

If you're replacing a single window, then that window has to be to regs.
You don't need to replace all windows, though any that are replaced must
meet regs.

Boiler - replacing a boiler does not require you to change your cylinder to
meet regs, but if you do change it (corroded, old etc) then it must meet
regs.

Basically, anything new/replaced must meet regs. Anything untouched
doesn't.

I could be completely wrong though!

David