MechAcc

Homeowners please read the charter for alt.hvac and sci.engr.heat-vent-ac

at:

http://home.att.net/~alt.hvac/default.htm

http://home.att.net/~alt.hvac/netiquet.htm

http://home.att.net/~alt.hvac/charter.htm

It states: The HVAC groups are not intended to supplement the homeowner
groups such as

misc.consumer.house and alt.home.repair

So please go there and post your question or call your local heating/ air
conditioning contractor to service your equipment.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), a qualified
heating contractor should inspect the home heating system annually. Checks
should be made of the furnace or boiler, and its electrical and mechanical
components, thermostat controls and automatic safety switches.

MechAcc

"lbecker" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Lennox Heat Pump model HP-27-042
(http://lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=HP27) and the
compressor died in it.

Luckily there is a warranty on the part, but I need to pay labor to
have it replaced. (I don't have an annual contract, but based on the
cost estimate I got, I would have broken even anyway I think).

In any case I got an estimate of $650 to replace the compressor, and
while to my non-HVAC professional eye, it looks like it could be time
consuming (i.e. doesn't look real simple to just swap it in and out)
$650 struck me as kind of high. I am going to try to get a 2nd quote,
but figured I would check with the pros in here to see if that was at
least a reasonable ball park number.

thanks in advance for any input or advice.

- Lynn B.