Peter Wiley

jim rozen wrote in message ...
In article , Peter Wiley
says...

Been there, done that here in Tas in the last year. It cost me $8K.
Yes, you can buy a lotta single phase and 3 phase motors for the price
difference, but all the screwing about in the world still won't
deliver you true 3 phase, nor will you ever be able to pull more than
(say) 90A off your single phase supply. Nor can you extend your power
cabling anywhere near as simply & cheaply. I had the meter box put on
the last pole and ran my consumer mains myself to my house, shed and
to a future shed site by a dam. The cabling costs to run 20A 3 phase
over any distance are a lot less than trying to run 60A single phase
over the same distance, and I get to run 3 phase motors for water
pumps etc. I ran a 63A 3 phase supply to a sub board in the house then
pulled my single phase circuits off it. Ditto for shed and 20A down to
the dam.

Sounds nice - but I notice you did not mention anything
about the peak demand meter.

That's because here, there is no such thing. I pay for the kW-hours I
use and at normal domestic tariff. Period. In fact I also have a 240V
off peak metered supply that I can use for water heating and other
approved activities. Funnily enough my water heater is installed with
a 20A plug rather than being hard wired.

Precisely what I mean about you guys being screwed over on your power
systems. First you have 110V meaning you need much heavier cable to
get any decent amount of current and second your suppliers screw you
over on the tariffs. We have neither problem so faking 3 phase is
generally a waste of effort.

PDW