Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:33:05 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

But really..what the dickens are those caps good for? Ive got a number
of them.

7 Farad, what voltage? If they're only 6 or 8 volt, they were
probably meant for BIG computer power supply filtering/momentary UPS
use, and are pretty much worthless for anything else. Feed them 13.8
volts, and you'll have a nice little bomb on your hands...

If they're rated 16V to 20V, you have a small gold mine - but as you
describe the ones you have they would be too small, the 1 Farad 16V
they use is the size of a cleanser can, 3" diameter by 8" tall.

Car Stereo "Boom Car" nuts (the AH's you can hear three blocks away
with your windows rolled up tight - because they're driving with their
windows down and wearing earplugs...) use the 1 Farad caps as power
supply boosters right in front of the amplifier, it will act as a huge
battery to supply the momentary burst of power for each "Boomp!", then
it recharges as the alternator valiantly tries to keep up.

Wanna get them back? Get a nice stereo in your car, 100 WPC
minimum, which doesn't have to be expensive if you can settle for last
year's closeout amps and speakers...

And when they pull up next to you booming (c)rap at a long red
light, drop your windows and crank some Jazz, Classical or Big Band
right back at them. Let Doc Severinsen or Don Dorsey's Beethoven
"Rage over a Lost Penny" drown 'em out. I get dirty looks, but they
get the message. ;-)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Don Foreman

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:56:40 -0400, Steve Smith
wrote:

Jerry, I have a hard time believing a bigger fan will get you very far.
If this were true, motor manufacturers would do it, especially on Sears
compressors. I'm sure extra air will get you somewhere, but before long
the hot spot will move inside the windings, where your fan can't reach.
Extra air (and lower than rated ambient temps) might get you 10-20%
(just a guess), but not 50-100% continuous duty. Intermittent, sure.

I have done this on my single-phase air compressor motor. I rigged up
some flexible dryer vent to a good-sized squirrel-cage blower, blowing
a good blast of air into one end of the motor. It made a big
difference when I was using lots of air, as in DA sanding.

Take a look at heatsink specs as from Wakefield, note the thermal
resistance from sink to ambient of any heatsink as a fn of air
velocity (or not). . Motors do have fans in them, but they don't
produce enough pressure to get much airflow thru the limited spaces
inside the motor.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:09:20 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

snip

I have a little dyno with which I can measure the efects
of changing idler
size on a 3 phase motor's ability to deliver power.
The improvement in "tool motor power delivering ability"
is almost
undetectable for NO idler or for an idler 1 1/2 times tool
motor HP when
the tool motor is loaded up to 2/3 of its name plate Max HP.

It impressed me that the 3 HP 3 phase motor that I use
produces 3 HP at
1725 RPM to the load even when fed from single phase without
idler.

It is probably obvious to those who have thought about it,
that a heavily
loaded (near full name plate HP) 3 phase motor does run alot
smoother when
it is fed thru a big-big idler.

It might be concluded that 3 phase motors that arent
loaded heavily for
long periods can be run from single phase without an idler.
But, a 3 phase
motor will produce its full name plate HP even when fed
single phase with no
idler.

Jerry

snip

All the 3 pjase motors I've tested will produce more than their name
plate rated HP when fed good 3 phase. A 3 HP motor will deliver 5 HP to the
load when fed good 3 phase. It does get exactly as much hotter as you'd
guess so you'd want to put an external fan on it.
Heating of the motor is the principal factor that limits the amount of
power that an induction motor can safely deliver. That could be improved by
external fans and aditional heat sinks. Since the motor conducts heat away
from the windings thru its frame, the entire frame becomes a significant
factor in determining the max power rating. The 2/3 name plate HP 'rule of
thumb' for guessing at the max power available from a 3 phase motor, fed
single phase, must be altered to allow the fact that the heat sink and fan
is working as though it is a 3/3 HP motor.

It might be interesting to note that many 3 phase motors that are used in
Rec Craft applications are often commercial tool motors that will not be
loaded to their original ratings so the need for producing 'good 3 phase' is
often misunderstood.

A tool motor can easily spun up with an idler much smaller than the tool
motor's name plate HP, contrary to the implication that Big idlers are
needed. Most tools that use 3 phase motors can be unloaded while being
started, so even a switch and capacitor can spin up most 3 phase tools.

As I noted above, the 3 phase motor will provide the load with very nearly
the same HP when fed either single phase or 3 phase, when the motor is
loaded to only 1/2 its name plate HP. At those "lightly loaded" conditions,
I've been unable to descern the difference between the performance of the 3
phase motor fed either 3 phase or single phase.
The instanteous loss of torque every 1/120th of a second exist in either a
single phase motor or a 3 phase motor fed single phase. That "pulsing"
doesnt become measurable when the motor is loaded to less than about 3/4 its
rated HP. For loads under about 3/4 its name plate rated HP (2 1/4 HP for
a 3 HP motor) a 3 phase motor fed single benefits little from the use of in
idler. The pulsing is probably the first noticable result of having no
idler (or small idler) when using single phase to drive a heavily loaded 3
phase motor.

I plotted (with Excel) the HP vs RPM for the 3 HP 3 phase motor, fed
single phase, with a 5 HP idler and with no idler. I'll send you a copy if
you'd want to see it..

Jerry

A pair of good posts. It really is refreshing to see
some solid input on 3 phase phase conversions which is both
soundly based and backed up by direct measurement. I hope it
will dispel some of the myths on minimum sizes of idlers and
the practical usefulness of precision "tuning".

Jim

Steve Smith

wrote:

[...]

I bow to the voice of experience. I wasn't so much concerned with sink
to ambient as I was with inside motor to sink, but as you say, it seems
to work.

Steve
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 26 Aug 2004 16:31:22 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Now you see, _this_ is where the idea of a normal old 1 PH motor or 2
driving an alternator start to kick in again....G?)

So. I have a 20HP motor...3PH. If I ran it up to speed, using a pony,
I can then expect 80 amps, until I get it tuned? I just don't HAVE 80
Amps.

Hmm ... you could start out by adding a respectable capacitance
(power factor correction) in parallel with the motor to reduce that
current quite a bit so you could then tune the converter, and then tune
the power factor correction capacitance for the optimum current draw.
Note that the optimum will shift somewhat depending on load applied, so
if you expect to have the idler running unloaded more than at a
respectable load, you probably should tune the power factor correction
capacitance for the no-load condition.

Apparently running these things unbalanced is a lot messier than
running them on the right no of phases.

I'm not sure about that as far as the power factor correction
bit is concerned. It is just that if you have the right number of
phases available, you also typically have beefier breakers and wiring
available to start with.

Also -- I *think* (but I don't know for sure) that a fully
loaded motor would have much less need for the power factor correction.

Once tuned, what current would it use? How much more would it use than
say, a 10HP 3PH as an idler, in and of itself (not under load).

With both tuned, of course the 20 HP one would draw more
current. However a tuned (and power factor corrected) 20 HP motor
running as an unloaded idler probably will draw significantly less than
an unloaded 10 HP one running as an idler with no tuning or power factor
correction. You have a clamp-on ammeter don't you? Check what the 10
HP is currently drawing (I believe that you already have that one).

I don't have anything that big to check, since I actually use
VFDs, and lucked into my first one before ever building the planned
rotary converter -- or even acquiring the motor to serve as the idler.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Old Nick

On 28 Aug 2004 08:00:46 -0700, (Dan Caster) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

hmmmm...OK. Thanks. I had a quick aquizz, and your description is
better thna my first find, although the priinciple of overdriving was
stated.

You don't have to chase it up. I will tell you about induction
generators.
They are just that same three phase motor that you would use for a RPC
, but with that big single phase motor driving it and one leg of the
three phase motor connected to the single phase power. When you do
this it is easiest (in my opinion ) to use a belt drive with one of
the pulleys being one that can be varied in size. And you adjust the
drive so that the single phase motor is trying to drive the three
phase motor a little faster than synchronous speed. In doing that
you are putting in mechonical energy into the three phase motor and it
comes out as electrical three phase power. When ( and if ) you do
this measure the input current of the three phase motor and adjust the
variable pulley so that the input current is close to the rated input
current while driving whatever it is you want to drive with the three
phase power .

Ok. Again here I come up against the feeling that both the RPC and
this device need "tuning" to a specific _driven_ device. in other
words they drastically alter their characteristics as you alter their
loads? Otherwise you get inefficiencies or imbalances....

Sorry to pound this, but I do feel that everybody says it's simple,
and it's not that tough, I can see. But I get the feeling that most of
these devices are used for pretty steady-state use.

This needs no special start up circuits and no protection circuits in
case you lose the single phase power and it comes back up. It can be
further tuned with caps to reduce the imaginary current and therefore
the size of wire and circuit breaker on the single phase power. In my
opinion this is the best way to get three phase power that is the same
frequency as the single phase power. If you want variable frequency
to control the speed of a motor, use a VFD.

Induction generators will work driven by a gasolene engine and not
connected to the single phase line but that is a bit trickier. They
will also work with a single phase motor and a gasolene engine. Again
trickier ( needs the correct amount of caps across the line and maybe
some DC voltage to get it started.

Dan

Old Nick wrote in message
As far as looking at a motor generator, have you considered using a
three phase induction generator?

eerrr..no? G

I will chase it up. This will probably start a whole new _chain_ of
back and forths. I think I saw some before about these.

Dan

Old Nick wrote in message

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.
Old Nick

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:12:33 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

No! No! I said this once before and was reminded of the title. Sousa's
"The Liberty Bell"...Monty Python's theme tune. I suppose the littel
crapheads will not know the implications, but the tune is so bouncy
and silly when simply heard, which is probably why Python chose it.

And when they pull up next to you booming (c)rap at a long red
light, drop your windows and crank some Jazz, Classical or Big Band
right back at them. Let Doc Severinsen or Don Dorsey's Beethoven
"Rage over a Lost Penny" drown 'em out. I get dirty looks, but they
get the message. ;-)

-- Bruce --

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.
Gary Coffman

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:47:16 +0800, Old Nick wrote:
So. I have a 20HP motor...3PH. If I ran it up to speed, using a pony,
I can then expect 80 amps, until I get it tuned? I just don't HAVE 80
Amps.

Well, you don't *have* to tune it. Motor loads in general don't care much
if the phase to phase voltage balance is spot on or not. But you *will* want
to use power factor correction to get the reactive currents seen by your
supply wiring and breaker panel down into a more comfortable region.

Once tuned, what current would it use? How much more would it use than
say, a 10HP 3PH as an idler, in and of itself (not under load). If I
have some idea of that, then I can say well, I need so much dfor idle,
and so much for the actual load.

Ok, my tuned 20 HP idler consumes less than 400 watts no load. In other
words, the *real* current drawn by it to keep it running is under 2 amps. With
a fully loaded 7.5 HP load motor being driven by the rotary, total *real* current
draw from the wall is just over 25 amps, so it runs nicely on a 30A motor
rated breaker in the panel.

Now without power factor correction, the imaginary current draw is about
60 amps, so total draw, real and imaginary, with a 7.5 HP load motor is
around 67 amps. (You're dealing with vectors here, so real and imaginary
currents have to vector sum rather than just using simple addition.)

If you don't use power factor correction, you're going to need a breaker,
and associated wiring, heavy enough to handle that 67 amp draw. So use
power factor correction.

The size of the power factor correction capacitor is a function of the
idler motor impedance, which will vary from one idler motor to another
depending on internal motor construction factors not under your control,
how well the phases are balanced, which will vary depending on how
much capacitance you use to balance the phases (good balance here
will reduce power factor, and hence the needed size of the power factor
correction capacitor), and the real load power, which will vary depending
on the size and loading of the load motor(s) being driven (this has only
a small effect when the idler motor is substantially larger than the load
motor, so it can normally be ignored).

In short, you have to experiment to find the right size power factor
correction capacitor for your particular setup. Just keep adding
capacitance across the 1 ph line while monitoring an amp clamp
meter *on the breaker side of the line* until you see a minimum
current value. (Currents on the motor side of the power factor
correction capacitor won't decrease.) For a 20 HP idler, start
with a value of about 200 uF, then adjust from there.

Current will decrease as you increase capacitance until you reach
a minimum current, then it will increase again as the load becomes
capacitive rather than inductive. I like to pick a power factor capacitor
value that stays just a little on the inductive side of minimum. That
avoids large voltage excursions on the load side with changes in load.
(Load voltage regulation becomes touchy right at mimimum.)

You'll need a box full of capacitors to make this adjustment. You
can often get an assortment of used run capacitors from the back
yard of an industrial air conditioning place for the asking, or for a
nominal charge. These capacitors don't normally wear out (oil filled),
unlike start capacitors (which you shouldn't use), so good used ones
are fine. The A/C places generally use new capacitors when they
do a motor replacement, and bill the customer, so they wind up with
a bunch of good used ones laying around. Since disposing of them
requires that they be treated as hazardous waste, they're usually
glad to give them to you.

Gary
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 28 Aug 2004 08:00:46 -0700, (Dan Caster) vaguely
proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

[ ... ]

Ok. Again here I come up against the feeling that both the RPC and
this device need "tuning" to a specific _driven_ device. in other
words they drastically alter their characteristics as you alter their
loads? Otherwise you get inefficiencies or imbalances....

Sorry to pound this, but I do feel that everybody says it's simple,
and it's not that tough, I can see. But I get the feeling that most of
these devices are used for pretty steady-state use.

It depends on just how picky you are.

If you are going to mostly have the idler running unloaded, and
just run the machines for short periods -- tune it for the unloaded
state.

If you are going to be running a machine most of the time, tune
it for that specific machine -- running about half loaded.

If you are going to be running one machine or the other most of
the time, but about equal times, tune it for the average of the two.

I think that you are thinking that if it is just a little off
tune, it will draw humoungous amounts of extra current. It won't. It
will draw just a bit extra.

Most people who bother to tune probably tune it for unloaded.
And the things which really matter for keeping the breaker from blowing
too frequently, or the wires from overheating is the power factor
correction. The tuning mostly helps things like fast starts with a
heavy load (e.g. a gearhead lathe in high), or things like "plug"
reversing.

The normal reason for tuning before power factor correction is
that the tuning caps do a little bit of power factor correction too.
So, if you want *optimum* power factor correction, you apply that
*after* you are done tuning.

With your big 20 HP motor, you can probably do without *any*
tuning, but you *will* need the power factor correction to keep from
blowing your breakers.

I don't have enough power to run a 20 HP load in the shop. The
best outlet that I have at 220 VAC single phase is a 30 A one, which I
calculate to be about 7-1/2 HP. But I *might* be able to spin a 20 HP
motor with a pony motor and then connect it as a rotary converter idler,
as long as I don't ask it to handle too many HP of load. But I almost
certainly would need to do power factor correction, or the breaker would
be tripping all the time. I might even use an alternate circuit to
power the pony motor.

I don't know what a good starting point for power factor
correction on a 20 HP motor would be -- perhaps someone who is using one
could chip in with that information.

Mostly -- stop worrying and *do the job*. If you want tuning
later, you can apply it later -- and possibly need to tweak the power
factor correction. But your machines will be happy.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Robert Galloway

You also have the choice of hand starting (rope?), or capacitor start
with associated switching for every tool motor you're wanting to run or
having one idler to start and then having the self start plus immediate
reversibility features available at each tool. Big three phase motors
being as cheap as they are, seems simple enough to use the idler.

bob g.

wrote:

[...]

Peter Wiley

Old Nick wrote in message . ..
On 26 Aug 2004 20:06:25 -0700, (Dan Caster) vaguely
proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

If you can't find cheap three phase motors, you probably are not
looking in the right places. Try the scrap yards. I mean the yards
that supply steel scrap to steel mills. Not salvage yards.

Actually I just a 30" circular saw that I am going to drive from my
tractor, and it has a 6hp 3PH motor attached, which I don;t need. I
also remembered I have a 3PH motor in the other shed. However that
one's 20 HP! and I believe they suck juice just to run.

If you weren't so far away - you're in WA, right? - I'd give you a 3HP
3 phase motor to play with. I got quite a few over the years but I'm
on the east coast. Nearly every tool I have is 3 phase.

Frankly I think all this to-ing and fro-ing about faking 3 phase is
fine & undoubtedly necessary for people living in the USA - their 110V
power sucks and their tariff rates do too. Here in Australia - just go
get 3 phase power put on and stop screwing about. I've had it put on
to 3 separate places over the last 30 years without any dramas, just
varying costs :-) I've got 3 phase 415V 90A per phase coming into my
place and I can plug reverse a 7.5HP motor with only a momentary blink
on the light circuit. It also means that I really, really don't need
to worry about what size welder I want to run.

Paying the power bill hasn't been an issue - so far.

PDW
Old Nick

On 29 Aug 2004 01:26:22 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Will the RPC be anywhere near as effective and versatile, under
limited power availability and in particular under varying load
conditions?

I have been told various answers to this. I reckon a motor gen will be
maybe 70% efficient. So I get somewhere around 6.7KVA. I get the
feeling that a mogen will alter its characterisitics under varying
loads, but not as much as an RPC. Therefore the headroom is a lot
less.

That last bit sums up my problem. Sorry about the rant

OK. I have 40A, 240 Volt available. 9.5KVA. I have not built any RPCs.
I realise I can do it on the cheap as I have (maybe) a lot of the gear
I need already.

I need a big motor, well-balanced and power factored. Bit of fiddling.
OK.

I have a rough (foggy with age and 25 years of little- to non-use)
idea of starting currents and no-load synch currents of sync motors. I
know what happens as you start to load them and they slip a bit and
start using power.

But the stopping point for me is that an idler basically MISuses a 3PH
motor, and all the rules come under question immediately.

I have googled, and looked at all the articles. The above is how far I
have got. I have tried, and sorry if I am missing something.

I know a motor-gen setup is heavy and expensive. I can live with that,
because the cost of getting a bigger 33KV - 240V trannie on my line
would be a heap. The next step is 20KVA, and probably $4000.

I know I can tweak the RPC.

But after all the tweaking, the RPC _still_ appears to suit a certain
load; not given the cost, or the size of idler making it easier, but
because if you tweak for no load, then use various loads, you get
efficiency losses. Again, this is not a cost issue, so much as limited
power supply and making that work. So I realise it takes a lot of
power costs to _pay_ for the thousand dollars a motor gen will cost me
to set up.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:32:47 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:12:33 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

And when they pull up next to you booming (c)rap at a long red

light, drop your windows and crank some Jazz, Classical or Big Band
right back at them. Let Doc Severinsen or Don Dorsey's Beethoven
"Rage over a Lost Penny" drown 'em out. I get dirty looks, but they
get the message. ;-)

No! No! I said this once before and was reminded of the title. Sousa's
"The Liberty Bell"...Monty Python's theme tune. I suppose the littel
crapheads will not know the implications, but the tune is so bouncy
and silly when simply heard, which is probably why Python chose it.

And I say No! No! right back, I can't use the Liberty Bell march.

That's already my Cellphone Ringtone... ;-)

(Not to say that working in a small business can sometimes seem like
the Ministry of Silly Walks or anything, mind you...)

Heck, I don't even know the implications to which you imply. Mind
giving us the Cliff Notes version to enlighten the unwashed masses?

-- Bruce --

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 29 Aug 2004 01:26:22 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Will the RPC be anywhere near as effective and versatile, under
limited power availability and in particular under varying load
conditions?

I have been told various answers to this. I reckon a motor gen will be
maybe 70% efficient.

With no personal experience with a modern motor generator (the
closest are the dynamotors and 28 VDC to three-phase 400 Hz units used
in WW-II aircraft) (And also a somewhat more modern "Georator" -- a
motor-generator which takes 60 Hz input and produces 400 Hz output.)
The Georator is made perhaps fifty miles from here, but as it does not
do anything that *I* need, I've not visited them. They can be found by
a web search -- but the shipping would kill you, I suspect.

However, unless you have synchronous motors on both ends, you
will need some difference in pulley size (an adjustable one) to tune the
output frequency to match the input frequency (60 Hz in the US, 50 Hz in
the UK, not sure which in Oz).

Those pulleys and the belt are certainly going to contribute to
poor efficiency. So -- unless you have a motor and a generator actually
sharing a single shaft and set of bearings, I think that your efficiency
will be far less than a typical rotary converter.

So I get somewhere around 6.7KVA. I get the
feeling that a mogen will alter its characterisitics under varying
loads, but not as much as an RPC. Therefore the headroom is a lot
less.

That last bit sums up my problem. Sorry about the rant

A heavily oversized rotary converter (something in excess of the
1.5X guideline) will probably not notice much of the smaller loads, so
the tuning (if any) can be pretty much ignored.

If you want to change the tuning with a single load at a time,
you can add tuning capacitors at the load motor (which will effectively
be in parallel with the those on the idler motor), so you are tuned for
each single load condition. Personally, I would not bother to go this
far.

However, if you are running several small loads and one big one
(say an air compressor), you might want to tune the air compressor load.

But note that each additional load, once it is started, adds to
the capability to start other loads, as the motor of the machine tool
becomes an addition to the idler.

OK. I have 40A, 240 Volt available. 9.5KVA. I have not built any RPCs.
I realise I can do it on the cheap as I have (maybe) a lot of the gear
I need already.

So -- build one and try it. If it doesn't cost you much but
time, why not see whether it serves your needs.

I need a big motor, well-balanced and power factored. Bit of fiddling.
OK.

You need power factored. If the motor is big enough, compared
to the loads, there is probably very little reason to tune the balance,
other than to feel that you've done the best that you can.

I have a rough (foggy with age and 25 years of little- to non-use)
idea of starting currents and no-load synch currents of sync motors. I
know what happens as you start to load them and they slip a bit and
start using power.

But the stopping point for me is that an idler basically MISuses a 3PH
motor, and all the rules come under question immediately.

So -- don't analyze it to death. Breadboard up a RPC using what
you have and see how it works for *your* needs. If it does what you
need, fabricate a housing for the components, so things are cleanly
mounted and people are protected from exposure to the high voltage
terminals. (Obviously, while it is breadboarded, you should be the only
one near it, since you will know what not to touch. :-)

I have googled, and looked at all the articles. The above is how far I
have got. I have tried, and sorry if I am missing something.

I know a motor-gen setup is heavy and expensive. I can live with that,
because the cost of getting a bigger 33KV - 240V trannie on my line
would be a heap. The next step is 20KVA, and probably $4000.

"Trannie"? I presume that you mean "transformer", not
"transmission" which is what I normally hear that short form used for?

I know I can tweak the RPC.

But after all the tweaking, the RPC _still_ appears to suit a certain
load;

No -- a *static* phase converter only works with a narrow range of
load. A rotary phase converter can easily handle any load from 66% of
the idler's rating on down to so tiny that you barely know that it is
running. (E.G. you could run a 1/8 HP three-phase motor from a 7.5 HP
inverter with no problems. Yes, it would cost you less to *run* a
smaller rotary converter to do that particular task, but if you are also
using it for other equipment, size it for the largest that you need to
run -- or if you have a larger motor, go *beyond* the 1.5X starting
point. It will draw a bit more current, even after power factor
correction, but it will cost less than building two or three rotary
converters -- each to run a different load.

And remember that as you switch on extra machines on that RPC,
they are contributing to the conversion job for the next machine you
need to start -- until you get enough machines running that the total
current trips your master breaker for the RPC.

not given the cost, or the size of idler making it easier, but
because if you tweak for no load, then use various loads, you get
efficiency losses. Again, this is not a cost issue, so much as limited
power supply and making that work. So I realise it takes a lot of
power costs to _pay_ for the thousand dollars a motor gen will cost me
to set up.

Again -- *try* a RPC -- breadboarded just to convince you that
it will work. Your major cost is likely to be the capacitors to tune
the power factor (ignoring any balancing capacitors which are optional,
after all).

And elsewhere in this by now massive thread, you have a starting
point for the power factor capacitor values. (Not from me, but from
someone who is *running* a RPC of the same size.

I think that I will now drop out of this thread, as I seem to be
typing the same thing time after time. Come back with more questions
after you *try* a RPC with the materials you have on hand. Talking
about it any more is counterproductive.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Gary Coffman

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:58:19 +0800, Old Nick wrote:
I have a rough (foggy with age and 25 years of little- to non-use)
idea of starting currents and no-load synch currents of sync motors. I
know what happens as you start to load them and they slip a bit and
start using power.

But the stopping point for me is that an idler basically MISuses a 3PH
motor, and all the rules come under question immediately.

Thinking of it as a motor just confuses the issue. Think of it as a rotary
*transformer*. That's the function it actually performs. Like any transformer,
as long as it is big enough (at least 1.5x the hp rating of the largest single
load), and is designed correctly, it does its job with very good efficiency.

But after all the tweaking, the RPC _still_ appears to suit a certain
load; not given the cost, or the size of idler making it easier, but
because if you tweak for no load, then use various loads, you get
efficiency losses. Again, this is not a cost issue, so much as limited
power supply and making that work. So I realise it takes a lot of
power costs to _pay_ for the thousand dollars a motor gen will cost me
to set up.

No! Tuning has very little effect on RPC efficiency. What tuning does
is improve phase to phase *voltage balance*. As long as phase balance
is reasonable (and reasonable can be a pretty rough approximation
when you're only driving motor loads, which is why so many people are
able to use RPCs with no tuning), efficiency will be good if the RPC had
good efficiency *as a 3 ph motor*.

The primary factors which determine RPC efficiency are the winding
resistance (wire size), the magnetic path lengths, and the magnetic
permeability. The people who designed the motor you use as a RPC
determined those things. If it was a good motor, it'll be a good RPC.
End of story.

The main reason to tune a RPC is if you have sensitive loads, like
control electronics, running off of it. Some (by no means all) electronic
loads are picky about phase to phase voltage balance. An example of
this sort of equipment would be a CNC machining center. Some, again
not all, welders will bitch about poor phase to phase balance. In those
cases, balancing the converter, or making sure the sensitive loads are
fed by the stiff legs (L1-L2) will resolve the problem.

Gary
Brian Lawson

Hey Peter,

I checked within the last year, and here it was going to cost $8500
Cdn (approx 6500US or 9300AUD). And that was for the utility
company's work only. I'd still have to run in from the "pole", and
change the service entrance at my house, and my panels. And it would
have been 3 phase at 600 volts, so I'd need a transformer(s) to get
440-308-220-208 three phase, and 110-220 single phase.

So I have a bag of capacitors and an idler now. It works fine for the
lathe and mill, but it dropped out something on the CNC which I have
not taken time to troubleshoot yet, and I have not tried the surface
grinder yet either, but at least I'm sort of "back in business".

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario, Canada.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 29 Aug 2004 16:44:25 -0700, (Peter Wiley)
wrote:

Old Nick wrote in message . ..
[...]

Old Nick

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:26:16 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Basically that anybody playing those things would say "Monty Who?"

Heck, I don't even know the implications to which you imply. Mind
giving us the Cliff Notes version to enlighten the unwashed masses?

-- Bruce --

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

Old Nick

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 02:54:22 -0400, Gary Coffman
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

OKOK! G I accept the input.

But there is that capital cost enticement. I am more interested in the
resultant output. If I can't afford a motor-driven alternator than I
can't.

I need to check out figures before I will be happy. Wish me happy
hunting.

I mean it when I say thanks.
I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.
Don Foreman

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:21:41 -0400, Steve Smith
wrote:

I bow to the voice of experience. I wasn't so much concerned with sink
to ambient as I was with inside motor to sink, but as you say, it seems
to work.

Threephase motors are designed to run on threephase power. The
designers include enough fan to cool the motor when run as it was
designed to run. They work hard to optimize the design for cost,
size, and efficiency when run under specified conditions. The fan is
a source of inefficiency so they don't use any more fan than
necessary.

It has been said many times that 3phase motors must be derated when
run on singlephase or unbalanced 3-phase power because of increased
I^2R losses. But this is just heat. If we can deal with the heat
with better cooling in our misapplications, then they can pull the
load. We'll just have less efficiency as the price for our
misapplication.

The largest thermal gradient is probably in the insulation between the
windings and the stator iron. If we can signficantly increase
airflow over those windings then we can greatly improve the rate of
heat removal, and therefore increase the power we can get from a motor
operating under conditions different than it was designed for.

Sorry if this violates any sacred beliefs, but it does work.

Peter Wiley

Well, Nick, the incremental cost for 3 phase should have been:

heavier poles, maybe. I had to go from 100mm round 6.5m steel poles to
125mm SHS 8m poles. If you had heavy timber poles, no difference.

2 extra wire runs. I had bundled aerial cable run in. To get the
equivalent single phase supply - say 270A 240V - I shudder to think
what the cable alone would have cost.

a 3 phase transformer instead of single phase.

Been there, done that here in Tas in the last year. It cost me $8K.
Yes, you can buy a lotta single phase and 3 phase motors for the price
difference, but all the screwing about in the world still won't
deliver you true 3 phase, nor will you ever be able to pull more than
(say) 90A off your single phase supply. Nor can you extend your power
cabling anywhere near as simply & cheaply. I had the meter box put on
the last pole and ran my consumer mains myself to my house, shed and
to a future shed site by a dam. The cabling costs to run 20A 3 phase
over any distance are a lot less than trying to run 60A single phase
over the same distance, and I get to run 3 phase motors for water
pumps etc. I ran a 63A 3 phase supply to a sub board in the house then
pulled my single phase circuits off it. Ditto for shed and 20A down to
the dam.

It cost me upfront but life is a lot simpler long term - which was my
point. You could just leave that 6 HP motor on the sawmill instead of
screwing about using the tractor PTO for example, coz you're gonna
find you need to use the tractor to move stuff at the same time as you
need its PTO drive, I'll bet. Been there - I have a 36" dia circular
sawmill modelled loosely after Rick Buxton's. I designed it for a PTO
drive so I could move it about on my NSW farm. In the end it was
easier to move logs to the saw using the tractor. Course, if you have
2 tractors.......

PDW

Umm....I am 3 Km from the nearest 3PH. :- It cost $8000 to get 1Ph
put in just from next door.

Frankly I think all this to-ing and fro-ing about faking 3 phase is
fine & undoubtedly necessary for people living in the USA - their 110V
power sucks and their tariff rates do too. Here in Australia - just go
get 3 phase power put on and stop screwing about. I've had it put on
to 3 separate places over the last 30 years without any dramas, just
varying costs :-) I've got 3 phase 415V 90A per phase coming into my
place and I can plug reverse a 7.5HP motor with only a momentary blink
on the light circuit. It also means that I really, really don't need
to worry about what size welder I want to run.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

jim rozen

In article , Peter Wiley
says...

Been there, done that here in Tas in the last year. It cost me $8K.
Yes, you can buy a lotta single phase and 3 phase motors for the price
difference, but all the screwing about in the world still won't
deliver you true 3 phase, nor will you ever be able to pull more than
(say) 90A off your single phase supply. Nor can you extend your power
cabling anywhere near as simply & cheaply. I had the meter box put on
the last pole and ran my consumer mains myself to my house, shed and
to a future shed site by a dam. The cabling costs to run 20A 3 phase
over any distance are a lot less than trying to run 60A single phase
over the same distance, and I get to run 3 phase motors for water
pumps etc. I ran a 63A 3 phase supply to a sub board in the house then
pulled my single phase circuits off it. Ditto for shed and 20A down to
the dam.

Sounds nice - but I notice you did not mention anything
about the peak demand meter.

Jim

please reply to:
Old Nick

On 30 Aug 2004 17:34:12 -0700, (Peter Wiley)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Well, Nick, the incremental cost for 3 phase should have been:

heavier poles, maybe. I had to go from 100mm round 6.5m steel poles to
125mm SHS 8m poles. If you had heavy timber poles, no difference.

2 extra wire runs. I had bundled aerial cable run in. To get the
equivalent single phase supply - say 270A 240V - I shudder to think
what the cable alone would have cost.

a 3 phase transformer instead of single phase.

Your power people must operate differently from my power people.

However, remember this is 3KM. I have to pay for _all_ of that mains
3PH. The laws are changing all the time, so I do not know whether I
start getting dribbles back as others join up.

I knew one guy who wanted 3PH over a couple of Km and it was going to
be $30,000.

I went through a huge battle some time ago about access rights when
somebody was extending the power grid, and do not want that again. So
I tried to get the 33KV line _taken off_ our property, back to the
front gate. $8000......to _remove_ the power lines! I was told that:
- the transformer was useless, and that I would need a new one.
- The poles were useless.
- The earth would have to be done differently, because the one I had
was usel...err upgraded.

Basically they were going to throw away all the stuff, the cabling was
worth crap, and I had to buy all new gear on their behalf.

I admit they probably did not want the the job, and had an active
reason to leave their gear there. But they had all the facts on their
side. I could probably do a ministerial, stick my head up, and be PE
#1 as far as the power authority is concerned from then on....not a
good way to be in the backblocks...eh what? ;-

To give you an idea, they wrote me a quote for that work. The qupte
lasted 6 months. About 8-9 months later I made myself known to them
about something that I was mildly not happy with. Within a week, I had
a very firm letter from them telling me that the previous quote was
null and void, (two to three months late). It _may_ simply have been a
diligent clerk opening my file and fixing up outstandings....

But all else aside, AFAICS the power people _use_ people who want what
I want to justify upgrading their tatty power system up to the latest,
I am afraid.

Been there, done that here in Tas in the last year. It cost me $8K.

Over what distance?

Yes, you can buy a lotta single phase and 3 phase motors for the price
difference, but all the screwing about in the world still won't
deliver you true 3 phase, nor will you ever be able to pull more than
(say) 90A off your single phase supply. Nor can you extend your power
cabling anywhere near as simply & cheaply. I had the meter box put on
the last pole and ran my consumer mains myself to my house, shed and
to a future shed site by a dam.

Again, your licensing may vary. If I do that it's illegal. Building a
rotary converter is illegal. Building an _amplifier_ that is mains
powered is illegal. It all depends on what's most obvious.

The cabling costs to run 20A 3 phase
over any distance are a lot less than trying to run 60A single phase
over the same distance, and I get to run 3 phase motors for water
pumps etc. I ran a 63A 3 phase supply to a sub board in the house then
pulled my single phase circuits off it. Ditto for shed and 20A down to
the dam.

I realise all that. But see above.

It cost me upfront but life is a lot simpler long term - which was my
point.

Not at $30,000, it's not.

You could just leave that 6 HP motor on the sawmill instead of
screwing about using the tractor PTO for example, coz you're gonna
find you need to use the tractor to move stuff at the same time as you
need its PTO drive, I'll bet. Been there - I have a 36" dia circular
sawmill modelled loosely after Rick Buxton's. I designed it for a PTO
drive so I could move it about on my NSW farm. In the end it was
easier to move logs to the saw using the tractor. Course, if you have
2 tractors.......

I do. I have been here 15 years and have been through all those
decisions with chippers, saws, tractors, trailers, tippers, loaders
etc etc. I admit I have thought about whether to take the saw or bring
the wood. I constantly fight between sawing theo wood onsite, and then
bringing back the pieces, vs dragging,/ carrying ghe (much harder to
handle) logs and processing at a site. However, at present, I knw 3PH
feed is out of the question, for all of its (enviously admitted,
bugger it.) advantages.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

Dan Caster

A RPC does not need much tweaking and the very best tweaking does not
change much from no load to full load. So I disagree with you when
you say if you tweak for no load, you get efficency losses at various
loads.

Dan

Old Nick wrote in message

But after all the tweaking, the RPC _still_ appears to suit a certain
load; not given the cost, or the size of idler making it easier, but
because if you tweak for no load, then use various loads, you get
efficiency losses. Again, this is not a cost issue, so much as limited
power supply and making that work. So I realise it takes a lot of
power costs to _pay_ for the thousand dollars a motor gen will cost me
to set up.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Bruce L. Bergman
wrote back on Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:26:16
GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:12:33 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

And when they pull up next to you booming (c)rap at a long red
light, drop your windows and crank some Jazz, Classical or Big Band
right back at them. Let Doc Severinsen or Don Dorsey's Beethoven
"Rage over a Lost Penny" drown 'em out. I get dirty looks, but they
get the message. ;-)

No! No! I said this once before and was reminded of the title. Sousa's
"The Liberty Bell"...Monty Python's theme tune. I suppose the littel
crapheads will not know the implications, but the tune is so bouncy
and silly when simply heard, which is probably why Python chose it.

And I say No! No! right back, I can't use the Liberty Bell march.

That's already my Cellphone Ringtone... ;-)

Bach's Tacotta and Fugue in D. Atomic Bach! Heavy Metal Boroque!

That or Glenn Miller's "in the mood" - lively, up beat, and punchy.
"Music to win a war too."

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Eric R Snow

SNIP
Greetings Nick,
In your post you mentioned that building a rotary phase converter is
illegal. Does this mean you can buy one and hook it up? Or is that
illegal too. If so, why? And, could they tell? Would they need a
search warrant?
Sheesh,
Eric
Old Nick

On 30 Aug 2004 22:31:35 -0700, (Dan Caster) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

A RPC does not need much tweaking and the very best tweaking does not
change much from no load to full load. So I disagree with you when
you say if you tweak for no load, you get efficency losses at various
loads.

Hehe! You can't "disagree" with somebody who has no idea what they are
talking about! GG

Sorry. That was the impression I had. I kept hearing that RPCs were
great...BUT:

- the emphasis was on capital outlay. My limit is power available.
- there was frequent qualification of claims about capacitors and
tweaking and people who had wonderful success with a given load. Very
little about this vs a nice expensive "sedate" 3PH generator setup, or
true 3PH power.
- SORRY. There was one about getting 3PH power on. At this stage,
short of some sort of "community action" group, that's out of the
question.
- I am one of those wacko individualistic socialists....BUM! G

It started to sound like those betting systems. There are a couple
that work, but the bookies ban you real quick! G

OK. As promised I did some searching. One (vendor's) claim was that an
RPC properly built to match _itself_ (as in set up to fit the idler)
was 95% efficient at best, falling to 85-90% at worst (no load or full
load).

That is above what I would ever _dream_ of, for a motor driving an
alternator.

I got the definite impression that even under varying loads, the
efficiency was very high. You, Dan, are correct.

So now I have apocryphal statements that these things are great, and
"actual" figures from people trying to sell them to me GG. Bugger!

However, I have to admit that if the claims for a well-tuned RPC are
50% out, the efficiency is still above a belt-driven motor-gen setup.

I have to admit that some of my caution here is "free lunch"
stuff.....sounds too good etc.

Dan

Old Nick wrote in message

But after all the tweaking, the RPC _still_ appears to suit a certain
load; not given the cost, or the size of idler making it easier, but
because if you tweak for no load, then use various loads, you get
efficiency losses. Again, this is not a cost issue, so much as limited
power supply and making that work. So I realise it takes a lot of
power costs to _pay_ for the thousand dollars a motor gen will cost me
to set up.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.
Old Nick

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:37:09 GMT, pyotr filipivich
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Musically I agree with you. Both are far removed from the techo-based
"brill" of whatever this week calls it that comes out of the (totally
metal-fatiguing but audiophile-sickening) vibration of car panels.

As a boombox deterrent, I disagree.

Both are stirring, powerful pieces of music that excite the THING that
gets excited.

Bach's Tocatta ROCKS. BIG TIME. Ask the group "Sky". It was the only
thing that a group of classically-trained musicians could sell to the
rock masses.

"In the Mood" always puzzled me, but that's its genius. Like "Bolero".
It's a repetition of a simple theme, over and over, with subtle
variations. Why is it magnifico?

Sorry. The Liberty Bell may have adopted a ludicrous meaning for me.
Blame Monty. I do feel it was well-chosen. :-

I will try to get onside even more. I once had a neighbour who bought
a new power system. It would appear the that system cost so much that
they could afford on.y one middle-of-the-road-rock LP. After 50
repeats of that LP (this was back when most TV was new content, and
our tolernace was low) I had had enough. I had built a pair of boxes
that were about 20% efficient, over the audio band. Experimental. They
were not horn loaded. they sounded reasonable. They were not all
power, bu sounded mmmmmmmmm reasonable.

Anyway. I set them up in the window nearest my neighbours, and played
Beethoven's Pastoral at unbearable levels, and went out for the
afternoon.

It worked.

So maybe you are right! Even the BEST and most PEACEFUL classical will
**** the boomsters off! G

My problem is, success may result in a beating! (recent victim of way
OTT, insane, road rage)

Bach's Tacotta and Fugue in D. Atomic Bach! Heavy Metal Boroque!

That or Glenn Miller's "in the mood" - lively, up beat, and punchy.
"Music to win a war too."

tschus
pyotr

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

Old Nick

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:11:31 -0700, Eric R Snow
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

SNIP
Greetings Nick,
In your post you mentioned that building a rotary phase converter is
illegal. Does this mean you can buy one and hook it up? Or is that
illegal too. If so, why? And, could they tell? Would they need a
search warrant?

Haha! _Building_ one is actually probably not illegal. I mis-worded!

But no, I could not hook it up, unless it had a plug to plug in, and a
socket to take out. I cannot wire it in.

I realise it _may_ be hard to tell who did what, if it's a bought one.
But a home-built one one would be a little easier to spot, even if
well done. If anyone in control was suspicious, they could ask me to
prove installation by a electrician.

Interesting about the search warrant. Firstly, if I had any work done
by an electrician, he has to submit a "ticket" to say it's done. It
can be inspected. He may also report what he sees, of course.

A story. A little while back, I was in a situation where my bush-pig
neighbour was stealing water from my dam (he set fire to the place
while he was doing it), and repeatedly dumping his household rubbish
on my property. I reported this to the police, who took no action, and
the Council, who sent the Health inspector out, accompanied by police.
He had more powers of entry and search than the police. They were
there to provide muscle, and to arrest the guy if he tried to stop the
inspector. So he and other statutory folk often have more power than
police!
I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.
Dan Caster

I really think you ought to put one together and see if it works for
you.

Since your limit is power available, let me tell you of one I put
together.
It was for a fishing rod blank company that had a centerless sander.
This was about twenty five years ago so I may remember somethings
incorrectly. But I think the main motor on the sander was a 5 hp
three phase motor. I used a 7.5 hp three phase motor and a two hp
single phase motor with a belt drive between the two. I forget the
size of the breaker, but it was just big enough after some fiddling.
The pulleys were adjusted until the current drawn by the single phase
motor was about 85 to 90 % of the name plate current. Some capacitors
were connected between one of the hot legs to the leg not connected to
facility power. As I remember the current drawn by the single phase
motor decreased as caps were added and then started to go back up. So
some caps were removed so current was a minimum. Then some caps were
added across the power line for power factor correction. I never try
to completely correct for power factor.
If you plot current as you add pf caps, you will see the first one
drops the current a good deal, the second one drops it less. The
third one even less. And remember that power factor correction only
decreases the imaginary current.
The real current varies with the load. The imaginary current does not
vary with load. But for your case where you are current limited,
reducing the current when unloaded, will cut the heating of the
breaker and wires when you are not loading the output. And helps keep
the breaker from blowing. Anyway I played around with caps of a
couple of hours, and the guy used it for over twenty years ( But only
used the sander maybe every ten days, it was not 8 hours a day 5 days
a week ).

One thing to remember about RPC is that they are only generating the
current and voltage for the third leg. So if you can get two thirds
of the power out of a three phase motor running it on single phase
power, you only need to generate one third of what a three phase
generator would have to generate.

Dan

Old Nick wrote in message . ..

[...]

Dan Caster

Actually the power factor correction does not change at all with load.
Changing the load only changes the real power and the power factor
caps only change the imaginary current. The effects of power factor
are much more obvious at no load, so do power factor correction at no
load. If there is always going to be a good sized load, then power
factor correction is a waste of time.

If you measure the current to just a PF cap across the line, you will
know the imaginary current that goes thru that cap. ( slightly off for
puritans, but close onough for the real world ). Then measure the
current of the motor with no load and no PF cap. Then put the PF cap
across the input to the motor and measure the current. Now plot a
triangle with the side proportional to the three currents you just
measured.

Now rotate that triangle so the imaginary current is vertical ( the
current to just the power factor cap ). Now draw a line horizontal
from the angle of the triangle that is away from the imaginary current
line. And extend the imaginary current line down to the horizontal
line. The length of the horizontal line is the real current. And by
now it ought to be obvious to the most casual observer that it isn't
worth correcting the power factor completely.

Dan

(DoN. Nichols) wrote in message ...

[...]

Peter Wiley

jim rozen wrote in message ...
In article , Peter Wiley
says...

[...]

That's because here, there is no such thing. I pay for the kW-hours I
use and at normal domestic tariff. Period. In fact I also have a 240V
off peak metered supply that I can use for water heating and other
approved activities. Funnily enough my water heater is installed with
a 20A plug rather than being hard wired.

Precisely what I mean about you guys being screwed over on your power
systems. First you have 110V meaning you need much heavier cable to
get any decent amount of current and second your suppliers screw you
over on the tariffs. We have neither problem so faking 3 phase is
generally a waste of effort.

PDW
jim rozen

In article , Peter Wiley
says...

Sounds nice - but I notice you did not mention anything
about the peak demand meter.

That's because here, there is no such thing.

Ah haaa. Here one begins to understand why there's
such a proliferation of home-brew approaches to generating
three phase power in the US - a peak demand meter is
invariably installed with polyphase service around
here, with the idea that the user is commercial by
definition if they run three phase machinery. The
cost can be staggering.

Precisely what I mean about you guys being screwed over on your power
systems. First you have 110V meaning you need much heavier cable to
get any decent amount of current and second your suppliers screw you
over on the tariffs. We have neither problem so faking 3 phase is
generally a waste of effort.

Well, the utilities are pretty consistent in their treatment - we
all get stuffed equally, alike - for the most part.

Jim

please reply to:

Eric R Snow

************************************************* ****
I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

So, if it can be plugged in, why not plug it in? I am probably missing
something here but it seems to be the obvious solution. In my shop
some of the machines are plugged in. The largest plugged in machine is
only 5 HP but the outlets and plugs I'm using have the capacity to be
used with my 10 HP 230 volt machines.
Eric
Old Nick

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:05:12 -0700, Eric R Snow
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

There seems to be a misunderstanding here, to the point of discomfort.
I am not deliberately being illogical. I actually regularly break this
law, but some things get under the radar, others do not.

Building an RPC is painting a target on my arse.

The law says:

- If I buy one, and it can be plugged in, I can plug it in.
* Buying one is an expensive option. I have seen them here (Oz)
for $2000 or so for any reasonable size. I _have_ to buy motor and
all, as otherwise, if I add my own motor, and any wiring, I am
building it....

- If I build one and wire OR _plug_ it in, it's illegal.
* Not to build (as far as I know), but to plug in. I have a 12KVA
1PH generator sans motor sitting in my shop. Until I actually connect
it, nobody can do anything except steal it (and welcome to try. It
weighs a ton!G)
- If I get caught, I am in the ****, and will be under the scope
thereafter.
* I could be caught by any inspection
* I am not allowed to do _any_ electrical wiring in a shop.
- Once I start adding illegal gear on the scale of an RPC, I am
on a difficult path. I get tied in to having to do all future wiring
illegally. A sparky comes and works and sees the gear etc. Once I
place something as large and obvious as an RPC in a workshop, any
sparky worth his spark will pick it up. He is probably duty bound to
report it, and since it's money out of his pocket if stuff gets DIY'd,
he will probably do so with great alacrity.
- If I sell this place or for any other reason someone else uses any
equipment that I have installed illegally, and they either don't like
it or are hurt by it, I am in the **** in the first place, and
_really_ in the **** in the second place.

I use tractors without ROPS, PTO shafts without covers etc etc. But as
I said, some stuff slips under the radar. For some reason electricity
is a very hot topic. There is a powerful trade incentive there, for a
start, and it has a very high horse from which to dictate terms in
order to protect itself. The building trade here is much the same.
Owner building is _very_ difficult to do here.

Before you scream "nanny state" read a few of the posts about boat
building in the US. We don't have anything _like_ half the rules about
that here. shrug.

So, if it can be plugged in, why not plug it in? I am probably missing
something here but it seems to be the obvious solution. In my shop
some of the machines are plugged in. The largest plugged in machine is
only 5 HP but the outlets and plugs I'm using have the capacity to be
used with my 10 HP 230 volt machines.
Eric

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.
Gerald Miller

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 12:45:18 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:
A lot to indicate that OZ. is run by the almighty shop steward. If
this is the case, I feel for you, but from a great distance.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada