G. Lewin

Note to self: the internet is never a good medium for sarcasm (or
obscure references to "Cheers" one-liners).

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "G. Lewin" wrote:

You sure it doesn't say INflammable? There's a lesson you don't want to
learn the hard way.

Dead positive. I know the difference, hence my emphasis on the NON. The term
"inflammable" is only rarely used any more, precisely because of the confusion
it often causes.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's page for the product:
http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_det...8&prodhdrid=37

The MSDS for the product http://www.dap.com/msds/30534.pdf notes the
following:

Toluene 1 to 5% by weight
Emergency overview: Warning! Combustible liquid and vapor
Unusual fire and explosion hazards: Combustible.

From the MSDS, it's evidently a hazard only above 150 deg F, but still, it
doesn't sound to me like it should be called non-flammable.

I found out what's going on with that, though: OSHA defines a "flammable"
liquid as one having a flash point below 100 deg F, and a "combustible" liquid
as one having a flash point between 100 and 200 deg F. So strictly speaking,
this stuff is in fact not "flammable" even though it is "combustible".

Sheesh.

Doug Miller wrote:

Warnings on a can of Weldwood brand NONflammable contact cement:

"Contains toluene ... Use in a well ventilated area. Keep away from heat,
sparks, or flame. Vapors may cause flash fire. ... Vapors can ignite
explosively."

So... exactly how is that different from ordinary contact cement?

--
Regards,