Old Nick

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:11:31 -0700, Eric R Snow
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

SNIP
Greetings Nick,
In your post you mentioned that building a rotary phase converter is
illegal. Does this mean you can buy one and hook it up? Or is that
illegal too. If so, why? And, could they tell? Would they need a
search warrant?

Haha! _Building_ one is actually probably not illegal. I mis-worded!

But no, I could not hook it up, unless it had a plug to plug in, and a
socket to take out. I cannot wire it in.

I realise it _may_ be hard to tell who did what, if it's a bought one.
But a home-built one one would be a little easier to spot, even if
well done. If anyone in control was suspicious, they could ask me to
prove installation by a electrician.

Interesting about the search warrant. Firstly, if I had any work done
by an electrician, he has to submit a "ticket" to say it's done. It
can be inspected. He may also report what he sees, of course.

A story. A little while back, I was in a situation where my bush-pig
neighbour was stealing water from my dam (he set fire to the place
while he was doing it), and repeatedly dumping his household rubbish
on my property. I reported this to the police, who took no action, and
the Council, who sent the Health inspector out, accompanied by police.
He had more powers of entry and search than the police. They were
there to provide muscle, and to arrest the guy if he tried to stop the
inspector. So he and other statutory folk often have more power than
police!
I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.