JohnR

If replacing the glass is not out of the question, shop around. I was quoted
$75 - $175 for a beveled table top replacement. I tried the $75 one. The
beveling and edge finish was first rate. Better is not always more costly.

John

wrote in message
I have an exterior door with a rather large window in it. The glass
is 1/4" thick. I just priced new glass and was rather shocked at the
price. I was told by the glass shop that I'd be best using
plexiglass, but that is even more costly, unless I go to the thin
stuff, and that would require modifying the trim around the window. I
decided to just replace the door, since it is rather weathered anyhow,
and I had to patch the bottom of the frame a few years ago, because it
was rotting. Besides, I'd rather have a solid door without a window.

Anyhow, at the moment I cant afford a new door, and just want to patch
what I have until next spring or so. The glass is not shattered, it
just has a crack across one corner, and that section has settled into
the frame, so the crack is open about 1/16".

My options are to either glue the glass, and add some putty or caulk
around it, or replace it with 1/4" plywood. I thought I'd first try
to glue the glass, which seems to be the easiest and cheapest for now.
The main object is to keep out wind and water.

My question is what to use to glue it. It should be clear, so that
leaves out JB Weld, which I am sure would work, since it seems to glue
anything. The other options I can see are superglue, which is
something I have never seen to work on much of anything, or clear
silicone caulk, which seems the most likely thing to work.

Before doing anything, I thought I'd see if anyone has any other ideas
or suggestions.

Like I said, this is thick glass, and the crack is clean. I just need
to remove the wooden strip and lift the piece a little to glue it,
then stuff putty around it before replacing the strip.

Thanks for all advice

Mark