Leonard G. Caillouet

My guess is that they were sold some counterfeits by some supplier.

Leonard

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 05:08:56 -0400, "Leonard Caillouet"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The Mitsubishi problems with leaky capacitors were mostly in the early

90s
and were polarized electrolytic radial mount caps supplied by Rubycon and
Nichicon. Somewhat later there were also the infamous PIP modules with

the
surface mount caps that leaked, similar to the Sony sound modules used in
many brands of sets. We still repair most of the larger sets when the

CRTs
are in good condition, but to get a reliable fix you have to inspect

every
cap for leakage and test for ESR. Most of the sets have been very

reliable
other than the capacitor problems. The big Mitsubishi CRTs in the direct
view sets have been some of the most reliable in the long term that

anyone
ever supplied.

Fixing a 27-28" Mitsubishi set with leaky caps is rarely going to make

sense
these days. These sets were nothing special, not bad, but typically not
significantly better than other products of their day. Some of the CRTs
were actually rather poor, unlike the very high quality of the larger

ones
and the RPTV tubes.

Leonard

I don't recall any consistently bad experiences with either Rubycon or
Nichicon capacitors in any appliance. In any case, it seems strange
that *both* brands of cap would cause problems for the one
manufacturer. I'm not surprised about the smt caps, though.

In Australia Mitsubishi TVs and VCRs were rebadged by AWA. I've only
ever worked on the older TVs, but these invariably had excellent CRTs.
I also don't recall ever having changed a Mitsubishi flyback
transformer (except once in error).

- Franc Zabkar