Roy

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:27:56 -0700, Sunworshipper
wrote:

===Posting to the watch thread got me thinking. Might as well ask ya'll
===cause the company we bought them from kind of dropped the ball.
===
===My wife (under 40) has arthritis and had to have her ring cut off and
===I never wear mine. So I was thinking that something could be made out
===of both for her that she could wear , and with only one diamond.
===
===I did a couple of pools for this one guy that is into gem cutting and
===has a centrifugal ahhh "thing" for gold. That maybe a way to go , but
===I need to know at least basically what I want before I look him up.
===
===Without getting the original company to do it I'm lost on how to make
===sure the weight and the same diamond come back... He's probably
===trustworthy , but he may not want to do it or take forever and within
===a month would be cool. She cried about it for days , but she can't
===resize the thing all the time so can't have another wedding ring.
===

We did exactly that with ours. I was never alowed to wear rings etc in
the military and over the years I just got used to not wearing
jewerly. The wife was always missplacing her's when she would remove
it to wash dishes or during those times of the month when water gets
retained etc. and she really is not all that big into rings, even more
so now that her employer has regs agaisnt wearing them or earings etc
at work. We had both of them weighed. Contracted with a custom jeweler
to make her a pendant for a necklace. He estimated what it would weigh
after it was finished, and after making it he returned the balance of
the molten down gold as a nugget along with a pendant that was pretty
much in line with his estimate.. The diamond in the ring was
incorporated into the pendant along with birthstones of the kids etc.
A neckless pendant fits all unlike a ring does so in her opinion is a
better item to hand down than an old wedding ring and besides you
should not need a ring to remind you of your marital status.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.