Andy Dingley

On 31 Aug 2004 18:56:35 GMT, ospam (John) wrote:

I am looking at buying a small bench top bandsaw and would be interested in
hearing any recomendations, or ones to avoid!

I just wouldn't - I've yet to hear of anyone who bought a "small bench
top" bandsaw and found it satisfactory. I'm using a 14" (the old
white Axminster 350) and I really wouldn't want anything smaller.

I also saw bone, although I'm mainly a woodworker - also antler,
buffalo horn, and there's a narwhal I've got my eye on 8-). Slabbing
beef knuckles is certainly making my saw work for its living.

Frame rigidity, guide quality and motor power are all important. If
you're trying to resaw something a few inches deep, so as to prepare
stock, then you need all three of these to be working right. IMHO,
anything with wheels under 14" diameter just doesn't deliver what you
need.

Most 14" machines either work, or can be made to. Poor guides can be
upgraded with Cool Blocks, which are as much guide as that size of
machine ever needs. If the guide fittings are too small or rudimentary
though (the small diameter metal pins in particular), then you're just
stuck with what you have.

If you don't already have it, Mark Duginske's book has some great
advice, particularly on choosing blades.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0806963980/codesmiths

--
Smert' spamionam