jo4hn

Doug Miller wrote:

I found out what's going on with that, though: OSHA defines a "flammable"
liquid as one having a flash point below 100 deg F, and a "combustible" liquid
as one having a flash point between 100 and 200 deg F. So strictly speaking,
this stuff is in fact not "flammable" even though it is "combustible".
[snippage]

I remember tanker trucks in days of yore (picture me as a child),
carrying warning signs that said "inflammable" or "non-inflammable". I
puzzled about the meanings of these words until my puzzler was sore. I
then asked my father who knew all things (and would admit to not knowing
as necessary). We agreed that these words were not necessarily
intuitive. Some time later the industry/government change to
"flammable" and "non-flammable". All better now.
mahalo,
jo4hn

whose father taught him about dictionaries and encyclopedias...