Kalico

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:26:20 GMT, "John Miller"
wrote:

"Alan James" wrote in message

"John Miller" wrote in message
Further to the bathroom renovation, I need to fit a shower
mixer
(Triton Aire bar type). The instructions call for it to

be
connected to a half inch BSP female fitting where the face

of
the
fitting is flush with the finished (tiled) surface. It's
going onto
a dry lined wall and I intend to run the supply pipes up

the
wall
from the floor. My problem is that a standard BSP elbow
fitting is
too short to reach through the plasterboard and tiles and

standard
soldered elbow plus straight BSP connector will be far too
long.
Approximate distance from solid wall to tiled surface will

be
40mm.
Anybody got any experience of this or could offer any
suggestions -
it must be a common problem. Only solution I can see is

cut the
plasterboard and tile over the gap, but I'm not very happy
about
doing this.

I note that Screwfix have a special fitting for bar

mixers -
somebody else asked about these recently, but I can't

recall
seeing
any replies. Does anybody know whether these fittings

would
help?

I've fitted a couple of Screwfix bar mixers which look similar

though the
shower fitting is 3/4 BSP female. There was a 3/4 to 1/2inch

cranked
adapter which was best discarded. Check out if a 22mm street

elbow (BES
6851) plus solder to BSP male (BES 6836) is compact enough. Don't

think you
can get less. A problem which you don't mention is that the bar

fitting
relies on the pipe fixings for strength. You need to fix the

pipes firmly
to the wall behing before plasterboarding in which case you can

chase out
sufficient depth.

If the Triton shower really requires to be connected to a half

inch BSP
female fitting as you say then I'm stumped how it can ever be

tightened.

Alan

Alan
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't explain the fitting very well -
the Triton bar mixer has two of the cranked 3/4 to 1/2 connectors
and the 1/2 end screws into the FI fitting. I had thought about
discarding these, but wasn't sure whether the connecting 3/4 nuts
would go onto a 22mm fitting.

John Miller

Does anyone actually know why these adapters are cranked?

Why not straight? I spent ages trying to get mine to line up so that
the bar mixer was level. Usually, one connector would tighten to, say
12 o'clock and the other to 6 o'clock, meaning a very wonky bar
indeed.

When I asked the manufacturer about this, they sent me some striaght
adapters, making it much easier to get level.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply