Sean O'Leathlobhair

"James Sweet" wrote in message news:s8RYc.1703$O85.1557@trnddc05...
"Charlie+" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 02:47:29 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote as underneath my scribble :

Might be worth your taking a listen to BBC Radio 3 (bbc.co.uk) which
is mainly classical and I think available streamed on the web 24 hrs a
day - no ads - and top quality as broadcast FM in the uk - however the
BBC web quality will probably take a hit through compression but I
have no idea how much - might be worth a try for you guys though!!
Or BBC Radio 1 for modern music, or BBC Radio 2 for medium music and
comedy or BBC Radio 4 for current affairs comedy and mainly voice or
BBC Radio 7 for old rerun voice comedy etc. -- all with no
commercial ads.! Shedules are all available on the same website
though afraid youll' have to put up with Brit voices and humour
etc!!.
PS I have nothing to do with BBC!
Charlie+

Web radio is great when you're home, but it kinda defeats the convenience of
radio in the first place aside from that.

Yes we are lucky here in the UK. The BBC, at least for some stations,
maintains high standards. If you like classical music then it is
worth getting a good quality tuner just for BBC Radio 3. It is also
good for BBC Radio 4 even though it is primarily talk, some of the
talk is drama. Classic FM, an independent classical network, also has
quite good standards.

Here, there are several ways to receive BBCR3.

There is a national network of FM transmitters which cover almost all
of the country. This is very good quality.

It is available on the DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting). I have no
personal experience of this. DAB gets a lot of criticism in the UK
since it seems that the broadcasters have chosen to use high
compression and lots of channels rather than fewer channels and higher
quality. I have read that BBCR3 uses the highest rate and some, at
least, think that the quality is good.

DTTV (Digital Terrestrial TV) is also active here and carries some
radio channels as well as TV. The bit rates of the radio stations are
higher than DAB and if your reception and equipment are good then the
quality is good. Whether it is better or worse than FM depends on
reception conditions, your equipment and subjective factors.

I know nothing at all about web radio.

I normally use FM for BBC radio but DTTV is close and I use it for
recording since I have this nice Humax PVR which makes recording of TV
or radio from DTTV very easy.

Seán O'Leathlóbhair