Martin Angove

In message ,
"Phil Nettleton" wrote:

[...]

the test inspects the connected accessories and the
electrical integraty of the wiring and not weather it`s been fitted
correctly, having said that in checking the accessories you would probably
see any anomalies ,also that still won`t stop you lifting the odd board or
checking the roof space if you suspect something because when the test is
complete the customer is going to get a report with the inspectors signiture
on it
hope this clears things up a bit

The thing I find difficult about inspections is the client. Of course,
that's obvious, but you have several issues he

1: He's paying you to do the job, possibly by the hour.

2: What he really wants is an "ok".

3: When he gets the report, the blasted section which lists items of
concern is very confusing to the layman. I mean, "1 requires urgent
attention" is obvious, but I have seen 2, 3, 4 used quite
inconsistently, especially the one which says "needs further
investigation". To a layman this means "it's ok at the moment, but you
should take a look". To the inspector it probably means "I think there's
something dodgy going on here but if I spend three hours tracing it out
you're going to complain."

4: When you tick the "not satisfactory" box it is hard not to feel as
though some clients think you are trying it on. I recently had an
interesting discussion with one client about the necessity or otherwise
of main and supplementary bonding (lack of which usually merits a "1"
in the concerns box), and the wisdom of ditching the overall 30mA RCD in
favour of the newly available PME. Crumbs, he even moaned when I spent
an unscheduled half day rewiring a birds nest of a junction box which
was the main downstairs lighting switching centre (all earths twisted
together outside the box).

I'm probably just being naive, but I usually try my best to explain the
test certificate to the client, which explains why I charge an extra
hour for paperwork :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... CONgress (n) - Opposite of PROgress