Chris F.

It's strange, I see Rubycon and Nichicon caps in many other brands of sets,
but they only seem to (physically) leak in Mitsubishu TV's / VCR's. Maybe
these were all part of one bad lot??

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
The Mitsubishi problems with leaky capacitors were mostly in the early 90s
and were polarized electrolytic radial mount caps supplied by Rubycon and
Nichicon. Somewhat later there were also the infamous PIP modules with

the
surface mount caps that leaked, similar to the Sony sound modules used in
many brands of sets. We still repair most of the larger sets when the

CRTs
are in good condition, but to get a reliable fix you have to inspect every
cap for leakage and test for ESR. Most of the sets have been very

reliable
other than the capacitor problems. The big Mitsubishi CRTs in the direct
view sets have been some of the most reliable in the long term that anyone
ever supplied.

Fixing a 27-28" Mitsubishi set with leaky caps is rarely going to make

sense
these days. These sets were nothing special, not bad, but typically not
significantly better than other products of their day. Some of the CRTs
were actually rather poor, unlike the very high quality of the larger ones
and the RPTV tubes.

Leonard

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:42:35 GMT, "Chris F."
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Got this set in the other day, model CS-28EX1C. This is a 26" set

from
'93. It came in dead, and once I got it going (replaced the STR

regulator)
it was apparent there were other problems. There was some raster

shrinkage
at the top, and the whole picture - though very clear - has wavy

edges -
frills, I guess - on bright objects such as letters. Kind of like

looking
at
your reflection on a ripply pond. As I started checking caps in the

vertical
output, it also became apparent that the set would not be an easy fix.

Seems
this is one of those infamous Mitsubishi's with the caps that leak not

only
internally, but physically as well. I replaced a bunch of these in the
vertical output, that fixed the shrunk picture but that was it. It

appears
that almost EVERY SINGLE CAP IN THE SET has started to physically leak

or
at
least gone up in ESR.

That's sad. I have a 20 year old Mitsubishi set that has never failed,
and still has an excellent picture. What have Mitsubishi changed in
their later models? What brand of caps are they using in your set?

- Franc Zabkar