Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
HeatMan writes:

Nope. I can get the warranty part simply by walking in to the

wholesaler
and giving them the MN and SN even if I'm not one of their dealers.

They'll hand you an expensive part for nothing more than two numbers.
Right. And Chrysler will give my local teenage grease monkey a new engine
for my car.

Actually, you as a homeowner can do it too...
It works like this..

You go to the Lennox supplier
You show them your EPA card that shows that you have half a clue about what
you are about to embark on..
You give them the model and serial number of the unit
You give them the old compressor that you claim is bad
You give them a check for the cost of the compressor in CASE its NOT bad,
and check out time from factory..normally another $150 or so..plus a new
cap, not covered under warranty in this case..oh...and a jug of 22, since
you cant buy it in little cans any more...
They give you the paperwork back, a cap, a compressor, and a jug of 22...
You wait 5 months for your refund, IF and only if the compressor was really
bad.

And as a son of a Chrysler dealer, and ex-service manager for Chrysler,
actually they can do that as well, but the difference is, the dealership
wont charge you a dime in labor for a warranty engine swap out..altho, the
dealership is charged for it.
And yes...they will hand over an engine to your local grease monkey...but
the question is, why in hell would you want ANOTHER hack working on your
stuff???