Art

How hot is very hot. Fan controls often get warm to the touch.

"RB" wrote in message
. ..
I live in a house built in '65 timeframe. I've been in it approx 7 yrs

now.

In the master bedroom, there is a large, ornate ceiling fan. It 's a very
typical type --- several lights under the blades. There are pull chains
which give me 3 fan speeds and several light levels.

The wall power controller is unusual, and I don't know what the heck it

is,
or why they didn't put in a conventional switch. But, what's there in a
standard wall outlet box, is some kind of gizmo that has a horizontal

rocker
switch on top, a horizontal slider switch in the middle, and a horizontal
rocker switch on the bottom. I have no idea how it's supposed to work. I
just fiddle with it until the fan and/or lights come on.

Anyway, where this discussion is going, is that the other day the fan was
running on high, and I just happened to notice that the faceplate on the
wall power control was very hot. Obviously, this isn't good.

The question I've got is: is there any reason why I shouldn't pull

thegizmo
that's there, and replace it with a conventional toggle switch???