jim rozen

In article , Dan Caster says...

Note that Jim Rozen and Ed Huntress cosider themselves as
conservatives. They probably are more conservative than their
neighbors, but not as conservative as some in this group. But they
live on the East coast. If they lived in the rural South, they might
consider themselves as liberals.

It's a complicated question, Dan.

There's the kind of fiscal conservative that says that the
government ought to run a tight ship and a ballanced budget.

The opposite of that used to be called 'tax and spend liberal.'
Now that same catagory is called 'republican.' For the record
I think the deficits being run up are nearly criminal.

Then you have the issue of how much government should intrude
into the citizens' lives. My personal view is that should be
the smallest amount possible. In some camps that makes me
a libertarian, in others it makes me a constitutional conservative.
In yet another it makes me 'pro abortion' which is flaming liberal.
So where do you draw the line in the sand?

I think that the government should look out for widders and orphans
which is what social security is all about - so for the over 60
crowd that makes me a staunch conservative (because they want their
benefits) but for the folks getting payroll taxes ripped from their
paychecks, I am again a flaming liberal.

Funny how the terms being bandied about are invariably used in
a derogatory sense if the person you are sticking them to disagrees
with some particular issue that's dear to the stick-er's heart!

On a lighter note I would mention that you have a very cute
grand-daughter which I happened to see the other week. Your
daughter in law said you would be miffed that you haven't had
a chance to meet her in person yet!

Congratulations to Dan!!

Jim

please reply to: