Peter Hyde

Larry Cumba wrote:
Here's a quick finish I like to use. It's one third boiled linseed

oil, one
third denatured alcohol and one third clear shellac. When I need some
I usually go buy a quart of each and put them in a gallon jug. It

will
stay good a long time. With the lathe running about 1000 rpm or so
just apply it with a rag.

Larry this sounded good until I tried it!! It doesn't dry hard.
I used it to finish some new handles for my home made turning tools
and now after a week they are continue to show finger prints after
using them. I suspect the amount of oil is the problem. Most french
polish mixes require just enough oil to act as a lubricant. Usually 2
or 3 drops on the rag is more than enough. When the polish has been
left to harden a few days the oil is wiped from the surface with
alcohol and then the surface is buffed with soft lint free rags. Is
anyone else having a problem with this mix not drying hard?