Richard Faulkner

In message , Mike Mitchell
writes
Well, the previous agent, although getting viewings, has not managed
to sell my property after almost three months (by the time the 2-week
notice period is up). Connells are doing a "Six-Week Challenge" offer,
where they try their best to sell a property within six weeks.

By the way, Connells suggested that I use their solicitor/conveyancer,
but the local solicitor, who has been recommended to me, is far
cheaper.

Let's see what happens.

MM

Mike,

Sounds like a done deal?

How many viewings have you had in the 3 month period?

What feedback did you get as to why individual viewers did not want to
buy? (Most wont give a truthful answer), but if you hear a similar
tangible thing 2 or 3 times, it can mean that there is something about
the house, rather than the agent.

It always amazes me when agents come up with campaigns like this -
Doesnt every agent try their best to sell all properties as quickly as
possible? The campaign name suggests that Connells usually dont try to
sell houses within 6 weeks g I have no doubt that the campaign will
attract lots of new properties for them to sell, just as the quiet time
of year is ending - very clever timing.

What do Connells offer if they dont sell your house within 6 weeks? Do
you have to sign a minimum agency period agreement?

One agent near us offered to sell houses for free - however, when the
documentation turned up, it actually said that if the house sold within
6 weeks, there would be no fee, after that the usual fee would apply.
How motivated the agents were to sell within 6 weeks, I cant imagine.
Lots of people were enticed to invite them in for a valuation, and the
numbers game meant they got a lot of houses to sell. Inertia then meant
that most of these houses stayed with them after the 6 weeks.

What will probably happen is that Connells will sell your house, and you
will think they are wonderful. However, you will never know if it was
because the market gets going in September after the holiday period,
when your previous agent may have found the same buyer, or if Connells
made an extra special effort.

Or Connells will not sell your house, and you may be attracted by
another inviting marketing campaign in a few months.

With some houses, I found that they did the rounds of all the local
agents, and it was luck of the draw as to which agent sold them.

One thing you must be careful of is that if the market has stabilised
around you, or is beginning to fall slightly, you could be left
following a falling market. I am sure that this will begin to happen in
some parts of the country over the foreseeable future.

--
Richard Faulkner