View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Brad C

A flush/recharge? sounds like the installers didn't do the job right to
start with. If the pressures were flucuating, that usually means you had
non-condensibles in the system. Did the evacuate the system after recovery
and installation if a filter/dryer in the refrigerant lines?

I had 2 different techs come out for a total of 3 trips.

1st tech came out the first trip only, he recommended a recovery/recharge on the system because he thought that non
condensables were causing the pressure fluctuation ( air ). He also said that air is basically moisture in the system,
so a dryer would need to be installed to get rid of all moisture. He gave me an estimate of $480 for the whole process.

I called them back the next day ( after calling other companies to get their take on it ) and said that since the house
was only 1.5 years old, and they did the install, they should fix this problem under warranty. The tech had said there
were no leaks in the system, so that meant the install was not properly done. They agreed, and sent another tech out to
do the recovery/recharge on my upstairs and downstairs units since both were fluctuating in pressure. Downstairs was
about 5-8 PSI ( it was working fine ), the upstairs was around 15 PSI. The tech finished and I asked if he put on a
dryer, he said he didn't need to b/c the previous tech indicated there was garbage in the refrigerant system, not
moisture.

After a day or so, I measured the temps again and both units were blowing out air 2-3 degrees warmer than before. So
now, both units are worse off. I called them back and tech #2 came out again. He checked the pressures said he needed to
top off the refrigerant since the pressures were just below the optimal value. So he did, now my downstairs unit works
fine like before, but the upstairs is still not cooling well.

What kind of filters are you using? Has the company checked blower speeds
and how clean the blower wheel/evap coil is?

I am using the standard filters you can get at just about any store. They are checked regularly, and the upstairs is
hardly ever dirty, so it isn't changed every month. The tech looked at the filter that had been used for the last 2
months and said it was fine.

I don't know if they checked blower speeds, the air flow seems to be fine from all supplies. If you mean the blower fan
in the condenser, a tech checked the amperage it was using and said it was fine.

The condenser fins are slightly damaged on both units from a hailstorm. This happened before last summer, so the units
performed fine last summer with the damage. Both condensers are clean as far as I can tell from the outside.