Andrew Gabriel

Default A bit O/T ... UK PC vendors ...

In article ,
"al" writes:
Look at www.woc.co.uk. They will put all the parts together, test it,
and guarantee it. Always 15% more expensive than the cheapest, worth
every penny. Bought literally hundreds of machines off them for various
companies over the years. Tried cheaper places. always end up going back
for teh service...

I would back that too -- I used to use them to supply all the PC's
to my previous company. All kit made up to my spec. On the rare
occasions something did die, replacement part recieved next day,
without any hassel or the need to send the dead part back for
testing first.

On one occasion I was temped to buy a disk drive from Simply because
it was £15 cheaper than WoC. Drive was DoA, and had obviously
already been used. It took a day on the phone to get it sent back
to Simply. Never made that mistake again, and stuck with WoC.

Thanks for the link - they look quite good, but they don't seem to allow you
to choose very high spec components or to drop the monitor. Might try
emailing them later. Their cases look a little plain too

They'll let you completely customise, but you might need to email
or phone. IME, they'll even order in things which they don't normally
stock.

If you're putting PCs into businesses, then good service and cheap prices
for reliable machines is invaluable. They look like this is their main
market though, rather than the high end.

Possibly -- I used them for exactly this reason. I needed machines
which were rock solid. I still have some of their machines in
service, and they run with uptimes limited only by reliability of
the mains supply, but easily more than a year.

--
Andrew Gabriel