al

Default A bit O/T ... UK PC vendors ...

"Harvey Van Sickle" wrote in message
FWIW, I don't think you should be looking at on-line/national type
operations -- your specs and knowledge are too good for that.

You could undoubtedly source and build this thing yourself, but if you
don't want to do that I figure you should ask around in your area for a
local "geek guy company" PC builder; discuss what you want with him --
you know pretty well as much as he will, so it's not an uneven
discussion; set a reasonable budget (my guess: a *lot* less than 2K);
and have him put it together and get it running for you.

That way, you:

(1) know precisely what you're getting

(2) can customise it with somebody who knows the merits of "this MB vs
that MB" and "this card vs that card"

(3) have a legal comeback if something's not right

(4) forge a link with a grateful "local geek company" if something
needs fine-tuning in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions, you may be right. I've certainly got quite a
few more good resources to look at now, so thanks a million to all who
replied. Think I'm just going to have to do a bit more homework and do the
sums of home build v. luxury box makers. I'll let you know what I get in
the end anyway ;o)