Martin H. Eastburn

Walter Harley wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

In article ,
says...
The keys are held in with bolts,

but they also appear to be held in by punching the join between the key
and
the casting. When I remove the bolts, the keys still won't come out,
even
if I whack them laterally with a mallet (using a piece of wood to avoid
denting anything). I didn't try whacking with all my might.

What's the right way to remove these, without damaging anything?

If these key are accurate, they may be a good way to line up your vise
with your table.

Unfortunately, they're aligned along an axis that is perpendicular to the
flanges for the tee slots; so, if I have the vise mounted to the tee slots,
the keys are sitting up on top of the table, keeping the vise from lying
flat. If I mounted the vise parallel to the X axis of the table I might be
able to use them, but I think that then the tee slots wouldn't line up with
the flanges (plus, I wouldn't be able to clamp long pieces).

Can the pair be rotated to another set of slots ? at 90 degree ?

I did that to my Kurt today - had been using the vise length way (not the normal way)
on the table so I had the keys 90 out of normal. Today, being done with the project,
I swapped the keys back and mounted the vise crosswise (normal way).

The item I was milling was a bit to deep for milling. For the life of me, I don't know
why I didn't rotate the work - I think I was fixed on having the long sides in the jaws
or something. Likely just a bad mental thought at the time. But the job was completed.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer