Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike" wrote in message
I'm not sure if I understand the question completely. When you say open
flame are you referring to the various heaters with an actual flame
that's exposed only, or are you referring to woodstoves also?

I don't see a problem with woodstoves--we've used one for my whole life,
my father's entire life, my grandfather's entire life, his father's
entire life..do I need to go on?

Plus you've got a great place to dispose of cutoffs and sawdust.

The potential is from the fumes of finishes. Even a store that is supposed
to be "out" can still have glowing embers a day or two later. It is against
the National Fire Code to use solid fuel heaters in garages due to the
potential of having gas fumes from an automobile. With proper care, it
should be safe as any other heater.

I use an open flame propane heater, but I don't spray finishes while it is
still running.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome