Gunner

On 25 Aug 2004 22:30:46 GMT, "Walter Harley"
wrote:

Thanks to everyone's help here, I bought an Enco 4" milling vise. I
unbolted it from its swivel base, since it's one more thing to not be true
and it steals precious inches of height (I have a small mill/drill without
much vertical clearance).

I want to mount the vise directly onto my mill/drill table. But after
removing it from the base, there are two rectangular keys protruding from
its bottom, about 1/2" square by 1" long. The keys are held in with bolts,
but they also appear to be held in by punching the join between the key and
the casting. When I remove the bolts, the keys still won't come out, even
if I whack them laterally with a mallet (using a piece of wood to avoid
denting anything). I didn't try whacking with all my might.

What's the right way to remove these, without damaging anything?

Why would you want to remove them? They are the locating keys for the
slot in your mill table.

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann