Doug Miller

In article , (David Hall) wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in message

Johnson, Nixon, and Ford all served in the Navy during WWII. IIRC, Johnson as
an observer, Nixon in logistics, and Ford on combat ships. Clinton is the only
President in the last sixty years with no military service of any sort.

I don't know, the last biography of Johnson I read didn't mention him
being in the service. I did mention him flying as a passenger in a
military plane while he was a congressman (i.e. exempt from service),
the plane being shot at and him using that henceforth as him "being in
combat during World War II".

Johnson was in the Naval Reserve, and went to active duty two days after Pearl
Harbor:
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq60-6.htm

Google on "presidents who served in the navy" -- first hit is
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq60-1.htm

We had five in a row (Kennedy through Carter).

--
Regards,