Robert Swinney

Those are locating lugs to assist you in setting the vice parallel to the
table by pushing both lugs against one of the table slots. They should be
removable - like they should fall out when the bolts are removed. I've
never heard of any being pressed in. Try removing the bolts part way out
and whacking on the bolt as to effect a rocking motion of the key.

Bob Swinney
"Walter Harley" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone's help here, I bought an Enco 4" milling vise. I
unbolted it from its swivel base, since it's one more thing to not be true
and it steals precious inches of height (I have a small mill/drill without
much vertical clearance).

I want to mount the vise directly onto my mill/drill table. But after
removing it from the base, there are two rectangular keys protruding from
its bottom, about 1/2" square by 1" long. The keys are held in with

bolts,
but they also appear to be held in by punching the join between the key

and
the casting. When I remove the bolts, the keys still won't come out, even
if I whack them laterally with a mallet (using a piece of wood to avoid
denting anything). I didn't try whacking with all my might.

What's the right way to remove these, without damaging anything?